Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Kingxenvy, how did your ssd upgrade go?
HP Recommended

@Jsanchez1221 wrote:
I had the same exact question. I am planning on replacing a 1TB hdd that came with my envy 15t slim quad windows 7 laptop with a 512 gb samsung 550 pro. I read that the recovery disks that I had made would not work if I ever needed to do a system restore because the size of my ssd was smaller than the factory 1TB HDD. What I gather from Sparkles1 is that if I ever needed to do a system restore from the recovery discs/usb I made, it would work because my ssd is over 128gb. Am I correct?

You can use the system recovery disks or usb recovery flashdrive if the new SSD or hard drive has at least 160GB  in storage capacity.  

A 128 GB SSD would not be a candidate for use with the HP Recovery media.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thanks for the clarification. Which cloning software do you recommend? I read on a post heres that samsung's software doesn't clone the oem recovery partition, which is fine because I was going to have my usb recovery stick. However, I am worried that it might not copy over the HP Tools partition. I heard I need that for troubleshooting purposes. Does anyone know if samsung's data migration software copies all other hp partitions aside from the recovery?
HP Recommended

I own three Samsung EVO series SSDs and I have not had great success with the Samsung data migration software.  I have had success with Apricorn's EZGIG cloning software and Paragon software's Drive Copy 14 software.

Disclaimer: Paragon does provide me with NFR versions of their software at no cost to me for evaluation purposes.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thank you, erico. So both those software clone all the oem partitions as well?
HP Recommended

@Jsanchez1221 wrote:
Thank you, erico. So both those software clone all the oem partitions as well?

Yes. Both of them do. 

Using the HP Recovery Flash drive on an SSD is pretty straightforward, although you may have to prep the SSD by use of the Diskpart commands. The Factory image recovery creates all of the  required partitions. 

HP Recommended
How would I have to prep the ssd exactly?
HP Recommended

The very first post of this thread explains how it is done.

I authored this thread and made it a sticky months ago.

My intent was to try to help people understand what would be needed to successfully transition from a legacy spinner hard disk to an electronic SSD in a notebook PC.

HP Recommended
Oh okay. Thank you so much. You've really helped me a lot.
HP Recommended
Do you know the general difference between Paragon OS to SSD and Drive Copy?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.