Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm having trouble finding out if my system can use/run with 16gb of ram.

I currently have this: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-10-24)

I used Crucials System memory scanner to find this:

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-14900, DDR3 (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 16GB

Currently Installed Memory: 8GB

Total Memory Slots: 2

Available Memory Slots: 1

I have 2 slots. I have 1 available My HP support person said this though. when I was asking what kind of timing I should get.

2:24 PM DARSHANA: I would like to inform you that the system supports 12gb but you can use and try 16gb but the system has not been tested using 16gb.

2:24 PM William Luttrell: Hmm

2:25 PM William Luttrell: So

2:26 PM William Luttrell: You don't know if it can use/run the entire 16gb of ram

2:26 PM DARSHANA: According to the specification the system supports 12 gb of RAM.

But Crucials scanner said it can support up to 16GB of ram. Does anyone know the answer to this? It would be very helpful As I don't want to buy an 8gb ram if I can't use it all, waste my money..... The DARSHANA HP support Assistant says it may be able to, but hasn't been tested???

I'm just REALLY confused as the custom support rep didn't really tell me much. Other than it hasn't been tested with 16GB So I'd assume the motherboard/computer could support 16GB. Any suggestions?

Current computer::HP Pavilion TS 15 Notebook PC

Model: 216B

" http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03981182

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The specs says 2 user accessible slots from there we can work out 8Gb max or 16Gb max, can't be 12Gb. Luckily you ONLY have to buy 1 8Gb stick because the machine has 8Gb on 1 slot already. If it had 4 x 2 you have to throw away both and buy 8 x 2 to be able to get to 16.

I trust Crucial.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Ok Thank you for your input. Hope your right.

Anyone else got anything to say about it??

HP Recommended

Agree. Go for it

HP Recommended

What's the max ram my system support (2x 8/16/32 gb)?? 

The things i find out: if you have 2 slots, 1 with 8gb and 1 free your system will support 2x 8 gb (depending os is 32/64 and home/pro/ulti editie)

I have a HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

and it came with: 4GB  Hynix 1600MHz. 4GB  Micron Technology 1600MHz i put in my self (ram 8 gb total)

mb 1970 95.24 (found someware it can support 32 gb ram) depends 1, your cpu and 2, operating system (os)

searching for the spec of my cpu: i didn't found  usefull stuff.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.