Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hp Pavillion dv 9000 laptop.

Uf, "No audio output device is installed!" it sais. The sound goes in and out , with no obvious reason. Yesterday it perfectly worked, but today when I restrated, no audio device installed. I can't find the sound controller in the device manager either, so i can't try a sound driver delete/reinstall. A few days before happened again, at start up, it said no audio output device is intalled...It can be the updates from HP that installs often and generate some sort of conflict, or the underneath heat may have something to do with it.

I could not find a fix until now.

:Crying:

I will try to reinstall windows vista, but with not much hope.

Any working ideas?

Mr.T

HP Recommended

Hi everyone 

I fixed the problem by these steps: 

1) Go to device manager 

2) Select sound, video, and game controllers from the list, and select high definition audio device when it drops down 

3)New window opens. Select the driver tab. Click uninstall. 

4)Then after it is uninstalled, go back to device manager window. 
Select action, and THEN you will have the option of scanning for hardware changes. 
Select this option and it will reinstall and the problem should be fixed. 

(I have an compaq laptop with windows 7 but I thought these steps could be useful for others as well)

HP Recommended

Hi everyone 

I fixed the problem by these steps: 

1) Go to device manager 

2) Select sound, video, and game controllers from the list, and select high definition audio device when it drops down 

3)New window opens. Select the driver tab. Click uninstall. 

4)Then after it is uninstalled, go back to device manager window. 
Select action, and THEN you will have the option of scanning for hardware changes. 
Select this option and it will reinstall and the problem should be fixed. 

(I have an compaq laptop with windows 7 but I thought these steps could be useful for others as well)

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my notebook but I'm running on vista 32-bit.

When I go to the device manager, I don't even see the category "game controllers and sound" or whatever everyone else sees.

I need help!

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem - Vista home Premium, a HP dv9500 and Vista 32bit. Need help please! 😞

HP Recommended

@sadasas, you talk about something else. That is easy to solve. We do not have the point no.2) from your list. No sound controller in device manager and other problems.

I have realised that my cd/dvd is not working for a while, well, cd/dvd drive can not be foud in My Computer or device manager. Nothing happen when I insert a cd or dvd, it seams to work but nothing. This was an older issue than the sound issue. Somehow they are related. One day they both, the sound and the cd/dvd worked perfectly, next day both didn't.

I opened my hp pavillion dv9000 piece by piece, checked the wires, put it back, now the sound seams to work fine for about a week but still no cd/dvd.

I don't know what to say. I have the feeling that the constant overheating have something to do with it.

:Crying:

HP Recommended

@theos, I got a problem axactly as you have described. I have a dv6000. Purchased it around september2007. About a year ago the "cd/dvd" problem came. Others days works fine but some other days my computer cannot find my cd/dvd drive. I tend to ignore it because I do not use my dvd player so much.

BUT NOW I got this "No audio device problem" which got me crazy because it is very important to me. I tried all the fixes online but to no avail. Maybe the user "stones863" is right about "solder joint" and "reflowing" but to me it is a "suicide mission". Very frustrating.

But I felt better knowing I am not alone in this one. It means we could help each other trying to solve this problem.

HP Recommended
I just upgraded to Windows 7 Pro so I could use XP programs. No sound drivers from HP for windows 7. The same kind of support they give for older printers with new ones designed to use more ink. This is my last HP Product. Tom Springer
HP Recommended

I did like you said but when you scan for new driver,, it restores the IDT.  I just bought this christmas eve last year. My Warranty ran out 12/24/10. and two days later I have no sound... but all trouble shooting reads, this device is working properly... GRRRRRRRRRRR... this is aweful. I even recovered back to store bought and still no sound. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had this Problem for absolutely ages but Finally managed to solve it.

My problem occured once i installed a new graphics card. I originally tried re-installing the original driver and this didn't work.  It wasn't even showing in the the Audio device options. Tried Uninstalling the ATI one and re-installing it to no avail, it showed in the manager but I couldn't select it so still had the red cross. Tried the windows repair option too and even restoring PC to an earlier date-no good. 

Finally decided to enter the set up on a restart. On my PC it was F10 but it usually says what to press at the bottom of the screen during start up. I scrolled across and down to the Audio device option and changed the setting from Auto to enable. then Save and exit and once I started up...hey presto the sound was back and it had magically for the original HP driver again. There must have been a conflict somewhere so the Auto search option wasn't finding it but enable did.

hope this helps those of you still stuck as I had tried EVERYTHING else

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.