Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq 8710w
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

I believe the lid switch of my notebook is malfunctioning. The blacklight of the screen is staying off, although the LCD display is working. I am using an external monitor now to work on my laptop.

The lid switch is magnetic. I located a small component in the lower bezel of the screen and (not visually yet) a magnet (wich might be part of a bigger component) at similar coordinates inside the bottom part of the laptop. When I am getting closer to the component in the screen with a magnet or metallic object OR when I am getting closer to the magnet in the bottom part of the laptop with a magnet, the LCD display (and the external one) turns off, then it turns back on WITH the backlight. The backlight though turns off after some seconds. The same happens when I close the lid, which brings screen and bottom part components close to each other. I cannot find a way to keep the backlight on, like keeping a piece of metal there or a magnet.

The image shows the screen component. The X marks the magnetic area in the bottom part of the laptop. I can't access that yet. The screw on the screen component is missing because I removed it to look if there is anything burnt or detached. Everything looks alright.

screen component

I can tell you, the power setting that lets me tell the computer to do nothing when the lid is closed, does not help.
There is also no cable being pinched. It runs relaxed inside the left hinge. There is nothing I can think of that could have happened to the laoptop except some little pokes when vacuuming the room or letting it drop from 5mm height.

So is there a way to override/deactivate this behaviour resulting in keeping the backlight on all the time? Do you think either the small component in the screen or the one in the bottom section are somehow broken and need replacement? I hope there is a software solution for this problem, but I am also welcoming hardware solutions, like a bypass or something, as long as I can keep my laptop mobile.

Best regards,
Apho

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I would say either screen inverter board bad (inverter feeds backlight tube) or backlight tube bad.

lid switch turns off the lcd display & backlight together.

easy & cheap to pick up an invertor board to test then if not invertor pick up new lcd screen.

Like my post? Click Kudos (thumb+) to show appreciation.
HP Recommended

Alright, thank you for the tips!

So, good to know what that little part is called. I'm going to replace that and see if it was it. What about the magnetic counterpart of it? Could that also be the origin of the malfunction? Hm, getting a new screen would give me a new screen inverter board too. Gonna check availabilities and prices...

Edit: looks like a screen only comes with display and cables, no inverter board ._.

HP Recommended

invertor board can be cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=8710w+invertor+board&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570....

Like my post? Click Kudos (thumb+) to show appreciation.
HP Recommended

I've ordered such a board.

And now guess what, the screen is back on. Maybe fondling around under the cover pushed something in the right corner. The screen is flickering sometimes though. There are sometimes pixel thin horizontal lines that flash up and divide the screen into four segments. Sometimes there are more shorter lines. Is that a symptom of a malfunctioning inverter board or the backlight tubes?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.