Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4520s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a ProBook 4520s which I needed to upgrade to Windows 10. After this update, the HDMI putput (which is vital to my work) stopped working and also a number of other things stopped functioning. Browsing through the forum and the web, I came to the realisation that it is HP to blame for not having drivers that would work with the Windows 10 O/S. This is frustrating to say the least. I am posting this, in hope that someone in HP blushes out of shame and perhaps the company puts some resources into helping its customers that got trapped into a similar situation.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HP is not going to divert any resources in trying to issue drivers for a laptop that is about 8 years old at this point. 

With a bit of effort we can find you working drivers to the extent the hardware is in any way compatible with Windows 10. 

It is a 1st gen Intel Core architecture and I know Windows 10 is not easily compatible with the Intel video of that era but there are workarounds.

You upgraded to Windows 10 apparently without trying to figure out in advance how you were going to get critical system components working. By doing so you likely burned your bridge behind you as the restore partition to put back Windows 7 is likely gone. You might be able to roll back to Windows 7 if you have had Windows 10 for less than 30 days.  

So we are here to try to help but we have to take these driver-less components one at a time and find you drivers. 

HP Recommended

I will also add that HP made it quite clear as to what PC's they would support for W10.

Your notebook was manufactured before August of 2013.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

Everything should work on W10 for your notebook by using the W7 drivers, with the exception of perhaps the webcam and fingerprint reader--which is why HP won't support models built before August of 2013 for W10.  Some devices simply will not work.

HP Recommended

So my/your computer is just a fancy brick after some (few) years past from purchace date?

In any case, I appreciate your trying to help. My main concern right now is the HDMI output. Is there a Windows 10 compatible driver for this?

HP Recommended

No it is not a fancy brick....it could have kept on going just fine with Windows 7...but as @Paul_Tikkanen said you are going to have to use the Windows 7 video driver and probably need to force install it (sounds worse than it is) or at a minimum run the installer .exe as administrator in compatibility mode. 

This is the last version of the Intel video driver for 64 bit Windows 7. 

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56001-56500/sp56276.exe

Don't use this if you have the ATI/AMD video chip. 

Here is the whole driver download page. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-4520s-notebook-pc/4145198/model/4145200

If you have Intel video download the softpaq above to desktop and right click on it and select properties/compatibility. Select run as administrator and run in Windows 7 compatibility. It may install. If not it will at least unzip to the hard drive and we can walk you through force install. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since neither of us are employed by, nor do we represent HP, your PC is not 'our' PC.

You will need to manually install the W7 audio HDMI file within the Intel graphics driver file, if your notebook has the onboard Intel graphics only.

It normally does not auto install.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.