Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ZBook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hopefully someone here can help me before I get an aneurysm.

I got the HP Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station (150 watts, model number P5Q54AA). Everything is connected ok but as soon as the dock connects to my laptop it crashes my computer instantly and generates the blue screen of death. It doesn't matter if a monitor is connected or not.

There was a couple of scary moments when it sent my fans into overdrive and started beeping loudly as if a bomb was ready to explode.

I spent more than eight hours on this yesterday and at this point the dock seems like nothing more than a nice looking brick.

I have went through all of the help threads here and tried everything.

• I updated the bios from 1.14 to 1.15
  • I updated all audio drivers, graphic drivers, firmware drivers, chipset drivers, and thunderbolt related drivers
  • I rolled back everything twice and reinstalled everything
  • I removed the security setting in the bios that relates to thunderbolt devices connecting
  • I've made numerous other changes that didn't work and had to roll back

Nothing seems to work.

I am puzzled as to why HP haven't set this up better. Surely there needs to be a dedicated app for this that handles everything and installs and removes all necessary drivers. By the looks of it this docking station has been a mess from the start.

What else can I do at this point? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It is possible you have a defective dock. I have exactly the same setup and went through some difficulties when I first got it but turning off Thunderbolt security made mine work. It is still occasionally finicky coming out of sleep mode or if I disconnect the laptop and use it as a laptop then try to reconnect the dock. Takes a restart or 2 sometimes but mine generally works well. 

I would suggest your problems point to a bad piece of hardware. 

HP Recommended
Yeah it could be. I've tried every possible solution out there and nothing seems to work. I'll try and get a replacement.

Thanks 🙂
HP Recommended

Do you have the BSoD code that was given? Or a file reference?

I've seen this before and it was caused by the ASMedia software.

Workaround is to uninstall and reinstalling the ASMedia 1.16.38.1drivers using sp77518.exe. The Thunderbolt docking Station is required to be connected to install the ASMedia drivers.
While installing the ASMedia drivers verify the thunderbolt FW is up to date.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

I uninstalled the ASMedia drivers and reinstalled them the other day, but nothing changed. I can maybe give it another try if the order of installation is important.

The blue screen of death said the stop code was SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

HP-BSOD.png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.