Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I Just wanted to know if it is possible to upgrade the graphics card on my HP G6 and if so which ones will fit my laptop

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's very unlikely you will be able to upgrade the video adapter as most ( even if described as dedicated ) are physically soldered to the Motherboard and as such, it's not an upgradeable component.

What is the full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

The Serial No. is {Removed for privacy} and the product No. is QG840EA

and its is a G6 1235SA

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, the Intel chip is integrated into the Motherboard and is definitely not upgradeable.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

are there any other ways of speeding up the graphics for gaming?

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Other than tweaking a few of the game setting such as the fps, there is really not much you can do to improve the performance of the chip, it's simply not very powerful.

If you enjoy gaming on a notebook, you really need to look for a machine with a dedicated card, that has a good ammount of fast dedicated ram onboard - ie atleast 1Gb+ of dedicated ddr5 ram.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi

I've got the G6 - 1112SA with ATI 4250. Is this graphics / video upgrade possible?

I've seen 2 threads regarding intel chipsets, but I've got the AMD Phenom II X4 4gb RAM model

Many thanks for your time 🙂

HP Recommended

No sorry. The same advice appies to your video chip. 99.5% of laptops have the video chip soldered directly onto the motherboard, whether the video is "integrated", "dedicated", or "switchable". There is just no upgrade path. When you buy a laptop you have to be thinking about whether you want to use it for gaming and ask a lot of questions. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of reliable information available at the point of sale about laptop graphics, and the manufacturers do not help by touting high theoretical video memory capacity for laptops, as if that makes any difference. A good rule of thumb is that anything that costs less than a thousand dollars is not likely to be any good for serious games, and paying over a thousand dollars is no guarantee it will game. It's all in the hardware.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.