Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, i am wanting to drop an i5-480m into my G6, is there a Bios update out that i can use to i dont find myself having to mess about when the laptop is in bits.

Also i download a manual from here for the g6 series and under the list of CPU's the one that is in my laptop(i3-370m) is not listed but i know its the default cpu as i have had the laptop from new, so i am not 100% that the i5 is compatible with me model, when will i fond the full model number so i can be 100%

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From your wording I thought you were saying you were not happy with the support. Happy to help if you found it useful. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Here is a tutorial on finding the exact model number:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Is this your model?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02996678

If so, this is your Manual:

Manual

I see it does not list the 370m but it does list other processors from the same series so there is no way there is another HP Manual. They just omitted your processor is the only explanation. 

And the i5-480m can be installed in either the Intel discrete or UMA motherboard.  Yours is UMA if I have the model right.

So assuming you can get in there and put in the replacement CPU, you appear to be good to go. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

ok, so i have a G6-1247SA

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048599

what manual would i need is when i did a search it didnt show one

HP Recommended

Right i have found and installed the uptdate bios F66.

all i now need is a manual so i can see the supported CPU list

HP Recommended

I think it is the same manual as I linked above:

Manual

One way to be sure is to look inside the memory compartment and get the motherboard part number and make sure it is listed in the manual.

HP Recommended

Right, i have found the manual and i think it says i can install an i5-2410M, can any one confirm this for me?

I have also found in the manual that is says i can support 8gb of ram but your online info say max 6gb, can you shed some light on this a for me.

and finaly if i install an SDD and reinstall windowns 7 from a downloaded ISO from microsoft site will my OEM product key work with a new none hp install?

Motherboard is an HM55 UMA

HP Recommended

Exactly. No, the HM55 chipset boards are for the first gen Intel core processors and the HM65 boards are for 2d gen so your original plan is still the good one.

Yes, your Windows 7 OEM Key Code will work with the digital river Microsoft OEM WIndows 7 disk of the same Windows 7 level (e.g. Home Premium 64 bit). Post back if you need that link but it sounds like you know what you are doing. You will have to use the phone activation but it will work.

By the way, we here at the Forum do not work for HP (for the most part) we are fellow end users just trying to help.

The Manual seems to say 6gb is the maximum memory but I have never seen a computer that maxes at an odd amount of memory. In other words, if you can install 1 x 4 gig module I can think of no reason on earth you cannot install 2 x 4 to get 8 gigs. Have you checked crucial.com? I bet they say it will take 8 gigs.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

Hi, yes it would seam the 8gb should work fine, so a little upgrade is in order to get dual channel working for me.

on to the CPU would an upgrade from i3-370 to an i5-480 give much of an upgrade? i see there GFX would gain a little bit more Mhz, and the cpu will boost to 2.9Ghz but will there be a real world benafit from this? it is a general use laptop.

Thanks for the advice.

Also i did think the forums was maned by HP support staff, i have used them in the past and alwasy found them to be very good.

HP Recommended

So you wondered why this is not so good? Hmmm. Anyway yes an 15-480M performs 10-15% better than the i3-370M:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/733/Intel_Core_i3_Mobile_i3-370M_(PGA988)_vs_Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i...

10-15% to me would not justify spending a ton of money. But at $34 for the processor assuming you can actually do the upgrade yourself I would think it is worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i5-Mobile-i5-480M-SLC27-2-66Ghz-3MB-Socket-G1-CPU-Processor-Lapto...

Other than coming to your house and doing the upgrade, not sure what more we can really do here. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

mmm your wording on the last message make me think i am bugging you so i will move on.

thanks for the good advice and help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.