Question

Tutor
carbonisoftware
Message 1 of 10 (7,566 Views)
Accepted Solution

BIOS clock not working after Win 7 upgrade

xw4300 workstation was recently updated to Windows 7 from XP pro.  After the update, the system clock was not keeping correct time, so I entered BIOS setup and set time there.  After several hours, I rebooted, entered BIOS setup and noticed BIOS clock had not changed.  I replaced CMOS battery (CR2032) with three different new batteries, and BIOS clock still does not change.

Windows 7 system clock will occasionally sync to the BIOS clock, which is creating the incorrect time in Windows. I can see these events in the system event log.

Is it possible that this problem is related to the Win 7 upgrade, or is it an unrelated problem?  Any suggestions for testing or fixing the BIOS clock beyond what has been done so far?  If I cannot fix the BIOS clock, is it possible to stop Win 7 from syncing to the BIOS clock?

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 10 (7,548 Views)

Re: BIOS clock not working after Win 7 upgrade

This sounds like a serious BIOS issue. You can reflash the BIOS using this update: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=wk-656...

To keep Windows in sync with some of the most advanced atomic clocks on the planet, if you are connected to the Internet...

Click the time on the system tray.

Select Change date and time setting

Click Internet Time

Change setting.

Select Synchronize... If Synchronize is already selected - this may be the problem and you might want to deselect it or select a different time server. You can check by manually changing the time and then clicking the Update now to see if the time changes.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Tutor
carbonisoftware
Message 3 of 10 (7,542 Views)

Thank you for the response.  I have flashed the BIOS and I am running v1.12.  That did not help. 

I am also running Chronos to sync every 15 minutes to atomic clocks, but Windows will still sync to the BIOS clock and create invalid times in between.  If I could get Windows to stop syncing to the BIOS clock, my time would stay accurate. 

I am guessing that the BIOS Real Time Clock is somehow broken.  Is there any way to test this?  If it is broken, is the only fix a new motherboard?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 10 (7,528 Views)

Hi,

Remove and replace the CMOS battery. What you reported is the first sign of the battery not reliably supplying current to the CMOS EEPROM. The battery function is to ensure that data that you have configured in BIOS remains the way you set it.

The batteries are cheap....just a couple of $$.

The issue you are having is not a  valid reason to  flash the BIOS.

regards,
erico 

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
carbonisoftware
Message 5 of 10 (7,520 Views)

I replaced CMOS battery (CR2032) with three different new batteries, and BIOS clock still does not change.
Provost
erico
Message 6 of 10 (7,511 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

carbonisoftware wrote:
I replaced CMOS battery (CR2032) with three different new batteries, and BIOS clock still does not change.

That is rare and unusual. With those symptoms, a BIOS ROM flash is definitely recommended and required. If flashing the BIOS doesn't fix it , then your motherboard has some serious issues and will be the component to suspect as faulty.

Have you flashed a BIOS before?

regards
erico 

Message Edited by erico on 11-13-2009 05:09 PM

Tutor
carbonisoftware
Message 7 of 10 (7,506 Views)

As I indicated, the BIOS was flashed to v1.12, but the problem remains.  Are there any utilities to test the BIOS clock?
Provost
erico
Message 8 of 10 (7,503 Views)

[ Edited ]

carbonisoftware wrote:
As I indicated, the BIOS was flashed to v1.12, but the problem remains.  Are there any utilities to test the BIOS clock?
Did you replace the CLRCMOS or CLRRTC jumper in its original position after you cleared the CMOS and flashed the BIOS? If you did not then the time will be reset every time you power off the PC. 
Does the Date stay current? 
Sorry to have to inform you of this, but the BIOS does not have a clock. :smileywink: 
The Real Time Clock circuit is what keeps real time in a PC motherboard. 
PC Motherboard 101 class begins. :smileyhappy: 

RTC (Real time clock) is a function of the motherboard Southbridge chip. If you have updated your motherboard chipset drivers and flashed the BIOS and the BIOS remains unable to keep the time that you set...your Southbrigidge chip is failing and that is an integrated part of your motherboard. That would mean that your motherboard is faulty.
regards,
erico 
Message Edited by erico on 11-13-2009 08:34 PM

Tutor
carbonisoftware
Message 9 of 10 (7,464 Views)

erico wrote:
Did you replace the CLRCMOS or CLRRTC jumper in its original position after you cleared the CMOS and flashed the BIOS? If you did not then the time will be reset every time you power off the PC. 

I did not find a CLRRTC jumper on the 4300.  There is a jumper to reset the password (E49), and a CMOS reset button.

However, I tried reinstalling the battery with power cord unplugged, and this reset all CMOS anyway.  The reset of CMOS seems to have fixed the problem.  The BIOS clock has now started tracking the correct time again.  I have rebooted multiple times now and the time is holding correctly.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Provost
erico
Message 10 of 10 (7,459 Views)

carbonisoftware wrote:

erico wrote:

I did not find a CLRRTC jumper on the 4300.  There is a jumper to reset the password (E49), and a CMOS reset button.

However, I tried reinstalling the battery with power cord unplugged, and this reset all CMOS anyway.  The reset of CMOS seems to have fixed the problem.  The BIOS clock has now started tracking the correct time again.  I have rebooted multiple times now and the time is holding correctly.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Glad to hear that you are up and running. The BIOS configuration screen gives the user the ability to set the real time clock to local time. The BIOS does not have a clock. 
regards,
erico 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation