Do I need a Wireless Antenna for my HP Pavilion m9402f (9780 Views)
Honor Student
servie_tech
Message 1 of 9 (9,780 Views)

Do I need a Wireless Antenna for my HP Pavilion m9402f

Hi there,

I just bought an HP Pavilion m9402f and this comes with an integrated wireless card -- 802.11n Wirelss PCI Express Card LAN Adapter and it seems not to be working or letting me connect to my wireless network.

I have a Dell Laptop and it could connect to the wireless network without a problem. I called HP Tech Support twice, the first one who helped me recommended that I should restore the PC back to the factory settings which I did but still it did not resolve the issue. He also recommended that I should send this back to HP and have the wireless card replaced at the factory as the wireless card may be defective.

The second one from HP, insists that the reason why the wireless does not work is that it needs a wireless antenna for the wireless feature to work. To me, this does not make sense as I had the notion that the wireless is integrated already into the motherboard and that there is no need for an antenna for this to work.

Is this correct? Or the wireless network adapter is faulty? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

Kind regards,

Servie

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 9 (9,771 Views)

Re: Do I need a Wireless Antenna for my HP Pavilion m9402f

Did you open Device manager to see if it is detected and enabled?

The wireless antenna on most models like yours are internal. Just a couple of wires setting loose inside the pc near the top of the case. Do you see any male connector on the back that is smaller than most cable connectors like the ones on the back of a t.v.?

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once"
- Albert Einstein

Honor Student
servie_tech
Message 3 of 9 (9,770 Views)

Thank you for the reply.

I did open Device Manager and see that both network adapters are enabled. Is there is no other way, but to open the computer case and check if there are loose wires just what you described earlier?

HP tech/product support would send me an antenna that comes with it. According to HP, I need this antenna for this to work. I got confused because initially I thought that its all integrated inside as what you are saying, while HP is saying they will send me an antenna. Oh well, as long as it would work then its worth the try.

Appreciate your help on this, thanks again.

Kind regards,

Servie

Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 9 (9,760 Views)

Can you post a photo of the back of your pc?

Some have a male connector in the back to install an antenna. Some have internal and the antenna wires are just laid loosely inside the pc.

Honor Student
servie_tech
Message 5 of 9 (9,723 Views)

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. I took a picture of the back of the computer and was just wondering if there is a way that I could attach this photo on this thread.

Thanks.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 6 of 9 (9,713 Views)

The easiest way is to create a photobucket account and make a link url for it there and attach it using the chain icon above in the box where you reply.
Honor Student
servie_tech
Message 7 of 9 (9,650 Views)

I have never signed up for photobucket before and have tried doing a search about this on this URL but could not find anything about this. Can you please send me a link to this photobucket. I looked into the HP website found none.

Any help would resolve this issue once and for all. Appreciate your time and help. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Servie

Professor
1badGuard
Message 8 of 9 (9,647 Views)

Honor Student
JofreJKD
Message 9 of 9 (2,418 Views)

I have the exact same model HP Pavilion Elite m9402f

NO YOU DO NOT NEED ANY ADDITIONAL WIRES, ANTENNAS, PIECES.

Mine works fine.

Please note that HP/Microsoft released an updated driver for the wireless card that disabled my card and did not work properly. I rolled back the driver and it was back again. The driver, if you updated it will do that.

Hope that helped

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation