Question

Tutor
millenniumy2k
Message 1 of 10 (7,943 Views)

MicroServer N54l and Windows 8.1

Hello,
I have a MicroServer N54l, I installed windows 8, all ok ..
If I try to upgrade to 8.1, crashes during the upgrade in "Preparation of devices."
There are updated drivers?

thanks

Honor Student
mofsoft
Message 2 of 10 (7,819 Views)

Re: MicroServer N54l and Windows 8.1

Same here.  8.1 kept getting stuck during the "Getting Devices Ready" phase.  I searched other forums and found a suggestion to disable the onboard LAN.  So after windows-update downloads 8.1 and begins the install process, during the reboot process go into the BIOS (press F10) and disable the onboard LAN... presto, 8.1 will successfully install.

However, once you re-enable the onboard nic, it will no longer properly boot into Widnows.  The driver that Windows 8.1 has by default for the Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit adapter apparently doesn't work with the one inside the N54L.  

Other forum suggestions were to simply by a new PCIe LAN card that is supported by Windows 8.1... kind of lame if you ask me... would prefer to get the onboard LAN to work instead.  Surely HP will release a new driver soon.  Fingers crossed.

Honor Student
thurstan
Message 3 of 10 (7,488 Views)

I have just - eventually - resolved this. Downloaded the drivers for the BCM5723 nic from broadcom.com - choose the ones for 64 bit windows 8.1 and it works!
The link for the drivers is:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/license.php?file=570x/win_b57_x64-16.2.0.4b.zip
Honor Student
thurstan
Message 4 of 10 (7,487 Views)

Correction - It seemed to work, but actually the nic isn't connecting to the internet. Sorry for the hasty post. Strangely, device manager says it is all fine, but there is no connection.

David
Tutor
millenniumy2k
Message 5 of 10 (7,476 Views)

Bad luck ... keep us informed, thanks!

Honor Student
GiantWeta
Message 6 of 10 (7,428 Views)

Having already upgraded two laptops seemlessly from Win8 to 8.1, I jumped in and 'upgraded' my N54L from Win8 Pro to 8.1 too. Only when it hung during install did I Google it and find out that there are issues with the NIC (sigh).

So, after Windows reverted itself to 8.0 I installed the latest drivers from Broadcom as suggested above and sure enough 8.1 installed fine but the NIC never enables or connects.

So I left it logged in to 8.1 overnight and in the morning it had crashed and was showing the PC Repair screen. Now it won't boot at all unless I disable the NIC in the BIOS. With the NIC enabled it always tries to repair itself but fails. Doing a PC Restore from within Win8.1 always fails because I don't have a CDROM drive and the USB stick that has the Win8 Pro install image on it isn't recognised as being the right installation media. argghh.

So now I'm attempting to reinstall Win8.0 over Win8.1 and will probably have to reinstall all my software. Goddam MS. :smileysad:

Honor Student
GiantWeta
Message 7 of 10 (7,416 Views)

[ Edited ]

FIXED! :smileyvery-happy:

I found mention on the Home Server Show forum that a BIOS update from HP (dated 10/1/2013) fixes the problem completely. It worked perfectly for me on a on a N54L :smileyvery-happy:

Here's the thread with links to the BIOS update

Honor Student
mofsoft
Message 8 of 10 (7,402 Views)

Wow.  It worked for me as well!

1) Updated to the new HP BIOS (Version:2013.10.01 (A) (15 Nov 2013) -File name:smileyfrustrated:P64420.exe)

2) Enabled LAN in BIOS (was previously disabled... was using a USB Ethernet Adapter)

3) Reboot - several times... windows kept failing... but i kept rebooting

4) Once Windows 8.1 "fixed" itself, I went to Device Manager and deleted the OnBoard NIC and Drivers (but kept the USB Ethernet)

5) Rebooted again - Windows 8.1 found the latest drivers for the onboard NIC

6) Shutdown - Plugged CAT 6 into OnBoard LAN port - reboot

Now it works as expected.

Thanks GiantWeta for the notification.  Glad to have this behind me!

Tutor
millenniumy2k
Message 9 of 10 (7,395 Views)

fantastic!

can you give me the direct link to the new bios?
how do I update?

thank you!

Honor Student
mofsoft
Message 10 of 10 (7,375 Views)

It's in one of the posts above...  you can try this direct link but I'm not sure if it will persist...

HP ProLiant MicroServer Support

You can also visit hp.com, click Support, select Download Drivers, enter "N54L" in the search field, then ultimately click the Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 link... you should see the BIOS listed there.

Happy Thanksgiving!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation