Mouse double clicking when it's not supposed to (4451 Views)
Student
turny
Message 1 of 7 (4,451 Views)

Mouse double clicking when it's not supposed to

My mouse is double-clicking when I only want a single click.  The problem is not consistant.  It double-clicks more often than not now.  Sometimes it will do it 10 times in a row, other times it will just do it once or twice.   I hooked up a different mouse to the computer and it does the same thing. Is it a virus?  Do I need to find drivers and reinstall the mouse?  I realize this doesn't sound like a big problem, but imagine never getting the results you want when you give the computer a command, or deleating 2 emails at once even if you havn't read the second one that just got deleated. 

Grad Student
y2ken
Message 2 of 7 (4,433 Views)

Re: Mouse double clicking when it's not supposed to

Try adjusting the mouse 'double-click speed' setting in the Control Panel.

Here's the instructions for Windows7.

How To Adjust Mouse Settings

:smileywink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on KUDO'S.

Student
Morningcoffee
Message 3 of 7 (3,277 Views)

Tried changing double click sensitivity, still doesn't work. I'm currently using microsoft's HID compliant mouse driver. 

Student
DutchMilk2
Message 4 of 7 (3,234 Views)

I am experiencing the exact issue. Brand new EliteBook 8460w. When I first got it, I wiped the OS and did a fresh Windows 7 Enterprise. I installed all the necessary drivers. The problem rose its ugly head the first day and has plagued me for 3 weeks. Just like you said-it's random. Over the course of 5 minutes, it may start a few times and then go away. Sometimes it goes away after 2 fake doubleclicks, other times it persists. It may sound like just an annoyance but it is a severe usability hindrence, a source of errors and accidents, and completely irritating.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the synaptics touchpad driver. no good. i even tried without the synaptics, just using the Microsoft default. Same behavior. HP HELP!!!!!

Student
thoraxe54
Message 5 of 7 (2,173 Views)

I have the exact same problem I have even tried 2 different mice both work perfectly fine on a toshiba laptop but not on my Dell Desktop it is extreme annoyance at first i thought it was me just wearing the mouse out (i do alot of gaming) but then switched the mice on the laptop and desktop and found that i still had the same problem when the laptop still had none.

Student
OHHHM
Message 6 of 7 (1,130 Views)

I have the same problem.  I have modified the mouse settings and changed to a different mouse all to no avail.

Is this a windows 7 problem or an HP problem?

Master's Graduate
GeorgeFN
Message 7 of 7 (1,122 Views)

Here is a Microsoft article:  Troubleshoot mouse double-clicking when you single-click.

This should help, it has quite a few possibilities and appropriate troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation