New HP Pavillion Slimline says it has built-in wireless (8565 Views)
Student
scree23
Message 1 of 6 (8,565 Views)

New HP Pavillion Slimline says it has built-in wireless

I just bought a new HP Pavillion Slimline 5220 with Windows 7 for my mother. The quick setup guide shows that it has built-in wireless. When I go to the Device Manager it doesn't show any wireless devices under Network adaptors.

Does this system have an internal wireless card or do I need to purchase a USB wireless card? If it does include a wireless card, how do I enable it? If it doesn't, then why does the Quick Start show that it has built-in wireless?

Any help you can provide would be great!

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 6 (8,554 Views)

Re: New HP Pavillion Slimline says it has built-in wireless

[ Edited ]

Where did you buy the computer? You have either the S2250F or S2250Y if you live in the U.S.  If you did not choose the wireless option during purchase then it does not have it. That is just an illustration in case you have wireless.

Look on the back and look for a small black box as you see in the photo on the back. If you do not see one then you don't have wireless.

See photo:

http://tinypic.com/r/2m6kapz/4

Message Edited by 1badGuard on 10-25-2009 10:45 PM
Message Edited by 1badGuard on 10-25-2009 10:56 PM
Student
markl1
Message 3 of 6 (575 Views)

how do i use the built in wireless

Honor Student
bagalleg
Message 4 of 6 (247 Views)

Can u buy these little black boxes
Honor Student
bagalleg
Message 5 of 6 (245 Views)

Can u buy these little black boxes
What are the little black boxes called
Intern
Joshawa
Message 6 of 6 (229 Views)

Hi, That "box" is simply a wireless adapter. Like most things, the ad probably said it could have wireless capabilities, not that it came with them, unless you paid extra. it was probably an option on the checkout/customization menu. These little black "boxes" are simply wireless adapters, and you can pick up many different types at your local computer and (certain) office stores. If you do not have a wireless adapter, or the "box" right now, you can not use wifi until you purchase one, and install the drivers for it.

Good Luck!

Did I help you? Please give me a Thumbs up to help let others know!