Question

Honor Student
Tsukiko-mei
Message 1 of 4 (7,283 Views)

Windows firewall is blocking my wireless connection.

Hi everyone, like the title says, windows is blocking my wireless connection. The problem started up yesterday after Kaspersky got rid of a virus that had infected my computer. When I opened IE, it said that it could not display the webpage; I ran the diagnostic tool and it said it could not connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP and that it was probably caused by firewall settings.
I turned off the firewall but it still didn't work and I even uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless stuff (Belkin) but it didn't work.
I went to Network Connections and it showed my connection was connected but firewalled. If I unblock it then it turns off my anti-virus software (Kaspersky). I've spent all of today trying to figure out how to fix this and I honestly cannot figure it out.
Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated since I am not tech-savvy.
My computer is an HP vs15 and I have Windows XP.
Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (7,276 Views)

Re: Windows firewall is blocking my wireless connection.

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a guide to help you troubleshoot your wireless problems.  Let us know if this helps you or not.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (7,270 Views)

Thank you very much for the information but unfortunately, my connection is still blocked. :smileysad:
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 4 (7,228 Views)

Hi,

Do you also use a router/hub device? 

Your antivirus software if it contains a firewall should disable the Windows firewall.  I use Norton NIS and it disables the Windows firewall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation