Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I own 2 hp12C financial calculators.  Both of them have the same issue:  from time to time, the display screen only displays 1/2 of the display -- either the top of the digits or the bottom.  What might cause this (fresh batteries don't help) and how can I fix it??

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Unfortunely, we were unlucky enough to buy HP12C calculators. I have owned mine for a little over a year and have a similar problem. The display does not correctly show all of the digits. The warranty on them is 1 year, so depending on when you bought them tech support may be able to help, but probably not. After talking with customer service there is nothing we can do except to buy another one of their poorly made calculators if the calculator is out of the one year warranty. My advice is to buy any financial calculator other than an HP. Mine had less than a couple hours of use and mostly sat on a shelf on my desk for the slightly more than a year I owned it. One has to assume the low quality products and poor customer service are directly related to the fact they have to lay off so many employees so the CEO can still make his millions.   

HP Recommended

Hi,

padkins:

If the calculator is still in warranty, contact HP support as soon as possible. As HPieceofsh-t mentioned, once the warranty period is passed you are unlikely to get a replacement.

padkins & HPieceofsh-t:

I also suggest each of you put this in a review (if the place you purchased it has a product review page) - prospective buyers have a right to know.

Regards.

-Bart

I had an HP-12C for years with never a problem...none. Changed the batteries when required 3-4 times but never a malfunction. I'm currently in Honduras and someone with sticky fingers lifted the 12C from my home desk (a worker) and I was forced to buy another one. It arrived the other day in its' packing with nothing apparently amiss but last night I turned it on and the LCD display was scrambled marks, half numbers. I checked the batteries with my multitester and they each indicate 3.06v so they're not the problem.

I bought it from Amazon and have notified them. Waiting for a reply but wondered if anyone else might have a simple solution to this failure. It will be next to impossible to think of shipping this back to the states. It is difficult enough to get certain things shipped in here (cost-wise) but shipping things back up can cost a small fortune.

I'll appreciate any good input. Thanks!

Dr. Pain

HP Recommended

Sorry to say this, but I don't think there IS a cure.  I, too, have used hp12cs for about 15 years with narry a problem.  Suddenly both of mine did the 1/2 display thing...I ended up buying another one from Staples and paying for the replacement warranty.  I've only had the third one for 3 months, so far without a problem, but I think it's a manufacturing issue in the newer ones.   Don't know what line of work you're in but I hope you can find a way to work without the12C...

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you have an old version 12c with 3 D-cell batteries, you can try to leave them without batteries for a week and then try with new batteries. Sometimes the electronics gets errors and needs a complete power-down including allowing the hold-up capacitor to discharge.

The modern versions with CR-2032 coin batteries can sometimes be recovered this way, but often have a hardware problem.

Please note that batteries can seem good if only measured with a multimeter. Please use a battery tester that will put a small load on it.

Always use a good make of batteries from a reputable supplier.

Best regards.

-Bart

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try that when I can get to my old calculators.  We did thry the batteries with a meter...but didn't try leaving them out for a period of time.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I would LOVE to have 3 working calculators!

HP Recommended

Sounds constructive and I'll try it. I did get a reply from Amazon and while they do require I send the unit back to them for a replacement...they were very kind to offer to pay the US shipping costs (to my freight forwarder in Florida). That doesn't cover my shipping costs from there to Honduras and it doesn't begin to cover the return shipping cost. Then of course when they ship the replacement, I may have to deal with the cost to Florida and from there to Honduras. Not good!

Thanks for the suggestion. That's the least I can do. I appreciate the help!

HP Recommended

BartdB...I did try the five day battery removal and unfortunately it had no effect on the display problem of this apparently newer version of the 12C (2 larger batteries). Thanks for your attempt to help me though. I've packaged it up and it will be on its' way back to Amazon for a replacement. Hopefully it won't be one with the same problem.

Regards!

HP Recommended

My original HP12C was purchased in 1988.  It still works fine.  I decided I wanted one in my car and one at home, to compliment the one at the office.  So I bought two more about 3 or 4 years ago.  They don't get used often, but the one in my car stopped working over a year ago.  It only displays a porition of each number.   I changed the batteries which did not work, and eventually threw it out.  I just went to use the one at home, and it is doing the same thing.  From reading all the comments on line, it sounds the the quality has dropped off and the new machines are of poor quality.  Too bad.  I really like hte HP12C, but do not plan on buying any more.  I will conitnue to use the one at my office, but will look for another brand of financial calculator for the car and home.  RIP HP12C!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.