Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK that is starting to help me understand things now.

Its best to use the SD card to transfer files with that phone.

I simply Googled How to Transfer files from a Samsung Captivate and found this video from Samsung on how to do it.

It goes by fast so you may have to stop and review it a few times.

Captivate - How to Transfer Media to a Computer - YouTube

If you need info on how to install the SD card, here is the Manual for that phone.

Page 6 explains where to put the card.

Page 36 explains more about using the card if you need it.

i897 Captivate User Manual - ATT_i897_Captivate_English_User_Manual.pdf

Once you have your files on the card, Simply turn off the phone (its easier that way), then remove the card.

If you are on a laptop, it will probably have an SD slot on the side. The Micro SD cards usually come with an adapter that makes the card bigger to fit the regular SD slot.

If you dont have the SD adapter or dont have a Laptop,  a desktop PC will work by obtaining a Card Reader USB Adapter.

Like this...

card reader.jpg

Insert the sd card into the Card Reader and plug the Reader into the USB port of the PC.

The card will show up under Computer just like a hard drive. Double click on it to open it and view the files.

You can copy and paste them onto any folder you want on the PC.

I gave you the instructions on how to copy/paste earlier.

To move your contacts from that phone, AT&T has the info for that. You would copy the contacts to the SIM Card.

Then Transfer that to the next phone.

Copy Contacts From Samsung Captivate (i897) via SIM Card- AT&T Wireless Support

That's all I can do as far as help with that old phone.

I hope that helps in some way. Let me know if there is anything else I can do as far as your HP computer is concerned.

We are not employees of HP on this forum. We are Volunteers only. Some employees help also but only on their own time.

Good luck. 🙂

HP Recommended

I have a copy of that manual.

I used it to copy some media (photos).

I have a micro SD card.

I used it  in the phone.

I transferred some photos to the PC.

Now I know how to do that.

Now - - what about my Memos (I have 88 of them  wihtin the "Memos" Folder which is an icon on the "desktop of the phone.)  The manual doesn't explain how to transfer them via  a micro SD card.

And, what about my contacts?  How to transfer them?

HP Recommended

Looks like you are half way there. Unfortunatley, I dont have experience with the older phone model and it seems to be different than the newer models.

But, since you are going to Consumer Cellular, the have customer walk in centers that you can take the old phone to and they can transfer your files over to any new smart phone (as can any other phone company).

They can also support your original Samsung phone if you want to continue using it with a new SIM card.

Here is the link to their store locator if you are in the USA. 888-345-5509

Find Consumer Cellular Phones at a Store near You

Otherwise, you're most likey going to find more specific help for transfering files to a PC on the AT&T forum.

I do know those old phones have to have the info you want put on the SD card first, then you can transfer those files to the PC while connected via the USB cord.

Sorry I cannot be of further assistance on that subject.

HP Recommended

Your time and assistance are very much appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.