Question

Honor Student
Lionblood
Message 1 of 5 (4,756 Views)

Do I need to clean my fan? HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook

Hey guys I was wondering if someone could advise me on an issue I've been having for quite some time now,

My HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook overheats all the time, it doesn't shut down because of the overheating, the laptop itself just gets really hot.

The specs are as follows: Windows 7 64 bit, 4gb RAM, AMD Phenom(tm) II N380 Triple Core processor 2.10 GHz.

I have been given a quote of €80 to get a "Laptop Mainboard, fan cleaning, and thermal paste replacement"  Am I being taken for a ride here??

Also the laptop will cool down dramatically when the fan has nothing underneath it (eg on the edge of a table) it overheats on any surface.

As I write this, my laptop has been running for about 2 hours and the only programme I have open is google chrome, the temperatures according to "Speedfan" are 

HDO: 51c

Temp1: 94c

GPU: 84c

Core: 86c

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (4,744 Views)

Re: Do I need to clean my fan? HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook

Hi:

Before I dropped 80 quid on those repairs, I would try a can of compressed air first and see if that helps.

Here's how I clean my laptop fan...

Remove the battery and a/c power.

Place a flat toothpick or similar object that is small enough to pass thru the fan intake grill and place it between two of the fan blades to prevent the fan from spinning when you spray the compressed air into that vent.

Spray it that way, and then spray it backwards thru the exhaust vent until you don't see any dust coming out of the vents anymore.

Honor Student
Lionblood
Message 3 of 5 (4,736 Views)

I'm a little wary of the compressed can of air solution because I've read a few articles on how it may only be a temporary fix and can do more damage in the long run?

J

Teacher
X_Xeroid
Message 4 of 5 (4,730 Views)

If you clean the fan the way Paul said, I don't think you will ruin anything and you might save yourself some money.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 5 (4,724 Views)

That is how I have cleaned notebook fans for 10 years now.

Never broke or made anything worse by doing so.

People make a big mistake by:

1. Not unplugging the power or removing the battery and sometimes liquid sprays out of the can if you don't hold it upright.  Water and electricity don't mix.

2. Not preventing the fan from spinning when blowing the compressed air.

It may sound cool to hear how fast and loud the fan can whine when you spray compressed air into it but all that did was ruin the fan bearings which are only made to work at a certain maximum RPM.

In any event, the only other option is to disassemble the PC and do for yourself what they want to charge you 80 pounds for.

You can find detailed procedures for removing the fan/heatsink combo by reading the service manual on your notebook's support and driver page.

A word of caution...I have read a few posts where folks have attempted to clean the fan by taking the PC apart, and then the PC not working at all afterward.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation