Question

Honor Student
jennysloan
Message 1 of 23 (40,099 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6000 won't turn on power button quickplay motherboard faulty problem repair

[ Edited ]

I just want to share my experience with the HP Pavilion dv6000 (dv6105 to be precise) laptop. I purchased this laptop in Jan/Feb 2007. It worked OK for the first year. It ran very slow due to all the crap HP makes you load when you install the OS. Late Feb 2008 it began to not turn on. Power button wouldn't turn it on unless you pressed really REALLY hard. My husband immediately googled this problem and found this website h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us. He immediately called HP. They told us that we didn't qualify for the free repair. We didn't understand but for whatever reason we trusted the rep. The laptop continued to have problems turning on. We had to use the tip of a ballpoint pen and press it in a certain spot on the power button while standing up and putting all our pressure on the button. This method stopped working in Nov 2008. My husband called HP again and again we were told we didn't qualify for the free repair. Again not understanding why but trusted the rep. So we opened the laptop to try to see if there was something we could do to fix it. At this point the laptop has no use. The quickplay button brings you to a screen with a windows icon that doesn't take you to windows, it takes you to hibernate and you can't escape out. August of 2009 we decided to reinvestigate the $600 doorstop to see what could be done. In researching and calling HP again, two more times, turns out it is a faulty motherboard (HP admits this) and our problem DID fit the scenario for the free repair but now it had been longer than 2 years and so we would have to pay $400 for it. HOW CONVENIENT. I started researching how much it would cost to repair myself and decided that I wasn't comfortable doing that even though I thought I could do it for around $150. So I call HP AGAIN. They have a big rubber stamp that says "NO" on it. The first rep I called says "sorry, nothing we can do, you will have to pay for the repair" so I demand to speak to the supervisor. They come back on the line and say the supervisor will offer a discount of $259 for the repair. So they are still trying to profit off of my unfortunate predicament that THEY put me in. This doesn't satisfy me. I am put on hold for 40 minutes while I hold for a supervisor and no one ever comes to the line. Wayne was this persons name. I call in again to the number in the link above. The woman immediately says "well we've already told you what we can do and you didn't accept it" when I ask for a supervisor. She finally gets the supervisor, "Donald" who repeatedly says "You can try to "COMPLAIN" to get a "FREE" repair, but I have seen this a hundred times and no one ever gets a free repair so you are wasting your time." I keep pressing and then get routed to a "case manager." The case manager was so nice. He looked at my case, saw that we had called in during the first two years twice to report the issue and were told in error that we didn't qualify when really we did. We get our free repair now.

Keep calling the number in the link h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us and demand to have your case routed to a CASE MANAGER even if you never called before and it has been longer than two years. The only person who can authorize the repair is the case manager so skip that horrible customer service team.<text deleted>

Cheers.

Message Edited by WendyM on 08-14-2009 08:25 AM

EDIT by Katie_H (4/1/11): Removed broken links
PhD Student
Gangles
Message 2 of 23 (40,018 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 won't turn on power button quickplay motherboard faulty problem repair

[ Edited ]

Just to clarify if you call HP demaning anything..wether it is a service or a repair or a case manager you will get NOWHERE fast. Even if you managed to get call control and get to a case manager the case manager will tell you that your service enhancement has expired and you either pay for repairs at discount (which was just made available for units that have the service enhancement symptoms and are out of the free repair time) or buy another notebook.

Just to clarify, If you have registered your notebook and selected yes to the privacy question 'May we contact you by email' you would have recieved an email alert that your notebook may qualify for a fix on failier out of warrenty repair.

Hp also shows this information on their website where you can use your serial number and product number to check to see if you qualify.

Ignoring your ignorance towards hp you do have a valid case. You were given incorrect information over the last 2 years and you were under assumption that the service enhancement expired which it did not. Then it was too late. If you choose to go to the HP quality dept to have your case reviewed with guns blazing it will be YOU that will be shot down. Not HP. If you call and speak clearly and PROFESSIONALLY explain your situation/concerns and ASK to speak to the quality team you will have a better foot to stand on.

edit: I think that you ended up getting a free repair now that I am re-reading your post. My reply is for anyone that is reading this thread that had the same experience as the original poster

Message Edited by Gangles on 08-15-2009 02:01 PM
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Student
mouthtrick
Message 3 of 23 (39,724 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 won't turn on power button quickplay motherboard faulty problem repair

I've got the same problem with my HP Pavilion DV6736NR. It just turned off one day last week and, after about 10 trys of hitting the power button, it finally came back up.

Same thing this morning only I'm not so lucky. I can't get it to post at all. The HP screen comes up then powers off. Driving me insane.

I've only had this notebook for 14 months - just 2 months past the warranty period. I called HP twice and did what you suggested and no dice. They state my notebook isn't in the recall and refused to do anything about it at all. I had to pull teeth to get the info on what part number the motherboard actually is in this piece of junk.

What really irritates me is that I had to send it in for repair three months after I purchased it due to a hinge problem on the screen. They even replaced the motherboard at that time, according to the packing slip repair order when I got it back.

I've been a very loyal HP customer. I've never purchased anything but HP printers and HP computers but that's going to change very soon. They denied that there was even a problem with these laptops and were extremely rude to boot. I did ask to talk to a case manager but didn't get anywhere with that.

It'll make a nice doorstop.

Honor Student
Fiona_A
Message 4 of 23 (39,545 Views)

i have this problem too.. Its troublesome.. sometimes it wont even start after more than 50 tries, i've sat there trying for hours and hours.. all in desperation.. I told my friend this and he said its probably power supply problem? No idea what this means, anyone knows?

Anyhow, i'm sending it in this week.. wonder how long they will take to repair it..

Honor Student
jennysloan
Message 5 of 23 (39,514 Views)

HP just got mine on Friday and sent me an email that I will get it back on sept. 2nd.
Honor Student
jennysloan
Message 6 of 23 (39,513 Views)

Yeah, if your model # isn't included then you are S.O.L. You never know, it could be included in the future so check back is all I can say.

I also emailed the CEO's office and got a call back from someone who was very concerned and understood how someone could be upset after it breaking for no reason. HP has a web page where you can email the CEO - just google it.

Student
sfrenda
Message 7 of 23 (37,701 Views)

I'm having the same problem.  It just started yesterday.  I was online for about an hour when the computer suddenly shut off on its own.  When I push the power or quick play button, the light comes on for one second and then goes off again.  Motherboard huh?  I'll need to call HP then I guess and see if I can get something resolved.  Thanks for all the replies here, it helped me narrow things down pretty quickly.
Student
kspence
Message 8 of 23 (36,544 Views)

Hi, I recently was experiencing the same problems with my hp pavilion laptop. Is there any suggestions on whether I should contact hp directly or have a local laptop technician have a look. Its really frustrating with not being able to use my laptop as I'm a University student who clearly needs her laptop!!! 

Please someone help me!!!! 

Student
Cralex
Message 9 of 23 (35,685 Views)

My son's laptop started to do the same thing. So far I came across a fix on fiyya... I don't have the link or I would post.

One suggestion is to transfer the cables from the quickplay to the power button but this requires opening up the case.

Another much easier solution that worked is the press ctrl+alt+del at the sign of the first HP splash screen after hitting

the quickplay button. This action bypasses the quickplay feature and goes straight to the Windows login screen.

The assumption here is that the quickplay button is still working.

Hope this helps someone else. Good Luck.

Student
GG_SOL
Message 10 of 23 (35,590 Views)

My laptop did the same thing.  Chatted online with a tech to see if we could resolve the problem.  No luck.  Was told that it was a motherboard problem, and of course my laptop was past the warranty period.  I was told I could send it in to HP service which would cost me $400 + to get a new motherboard.  Wow, nice of them to back their products, since it looks like this is an ongoing issue with the DV6000 models.  I even called to see if they would give me a trade-in credit towards the purchase of a new laptop...I was told "HP only accepts working laptops for trade-in but we can recycle your laptop for free."  Gee thanks HP.  Guess I am SOL.  Anyone else have any luck with HP?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation