Question

slu Student
Student
slu
Message 1 of 25 (18,474 Views)

HP Smart Adaptor POP Ad - Every 15 sec

Hey Guys - new to the forum today as my 6 month old HP laptop just started with a very annouying pop up ad for the HP Smart Adaptor. I uninstalled the HP Smart Advisor (which was not a bad feature) thinking that would solve the problem but it didn't. If anyone out there (HP monitors this site I am sure) can help me get rid of this I would greatly appreciate it as it beyond annoying trying to work with a flash in the bottom of your screen every 15 sec trying to sell you something. Up till today I have recommended this machine to lots and lots of people but if this is the way HP is going to use its machines to force ads than I will have to go back to Dell....

Thanks

Student
Imperium7
Message 2 of 25 (18,282 Views)

Re: HP Smart Adaptor POP Ad - Every 15 sec

Any luck in turing off this annoying pop up

Honor Student
mishelly
Message 3 of 25 (18,185 Views)

I found this solution on another forum and it solved this incredibly annoying issue... 

Unplug the power cord from the laptop (the pop up goes away immediately), then unplug the cord from the laptop to the ac adapter and then replug everything back in and the pop up didn't come back...

Honor Student
gcbergie
Message 4 of 25 (18,125 Views)

THANK YOU FOR THE TIP!!! 

I was starting to go nuts.

SHAME ON YOU HP. This problem really pissed me off.

Student
suecris
Message 5 of 25 (17,835 Views)

This is driving me crazy.  I have tried the unplugging, and hope it works.  Just want HP to know that this, along with other feeble lame attempts to push their own company at the cost of my convenience and sanity, have ruined their company for me permanently.  No more HP calculators for my kids, no more hp computers.  I hate this company!

Student
popupisawful
Message 6 of 25 (17,474 Views)

This pop up is VERY annoying, HP PLEASE FIX THIS!

Student
ramsey11
Message 7 of 25 (16,999 Views)

great.  that worked for me.  now, does anyone have a idea on how to pay back HP for this annoyance other than buying Dell?

Student
lisarisch
Message 8 of 25 (16,341 Views)

thank u so much. i thought it was a virus.

Honor Student
Toledoterror
Message 9 of 25 (16,066 Views)

Why are so many people having this same issue at the same time? I've been dealing with this for appr 2 weeks now, very annoying. 

This works: 

Unplug the power cord from the laptop (the pop up goes away immediately), then unplug the cord from the laptop to the ac adapter and then replug everything back in and the pop up didn't come back...

but only until you close your laptop again, everytime I open my laptop, I have to unplug the power cord and go through this again.  This is quite annoying HP!!  Since so many folks are having the same issue at the same time... I'd think HP would want to assist their customers in supplying new cords, or HP stands to lose A LOT of customers.

Tutor
Jamesie-Kitten
Message 10 of 25 (15,994 Views)

We had the same trouble ... here's what I found ...

NON-OPTIMAL WORKAROUND  I discovered that if you simply remove the battery while using the computer in AC mode. the messages stop. Apparently they appear whenever the computer switches between AC and battery power. It works vice-versa as well, when running on battery power only.

ANOTHER WORKAROUND As I was going through all of this, I discovered that changing the power configuration from "Power Saver" to "HP Recommended (Recommended)" the messages stopped. I did this however while the battery was removed, and it is possible that the battery should be out when you do this.

ALSO, Our OEM adapter by the way is 65 watts -- people on other forums suggested that anything under 60 watts should be replaced no matter what.  We had it plugged into a very old surge protector, which conceivably could have been robbing power. So we now have it directly in the wall. (Did this after stopping messages with the different power config, so I don't know if it would have worked -- but try it anyway).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation