HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility (184129 Views)
Top Student
pamtwelve
Message 1 of 26 (184,129 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility

i wanted to make a recovery flash disk for my hp mini 110-1131DX tord. Operating system is windows 7. url is highly appreciated. thanks.
Honor Student
ThomGriffith
Message 2 of 26 (184,112 Views)

Re: HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility

Great Idea.  This would be a valuable tool as I don't also have by external drive

Grad Student
ArtAppreciator
Message 3 of 26 (184,100 Views)

The USB flash utility:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-77449-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

You can also find this by going directly to the SW download pages for your product on HP.com

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
Top Student
pamtwelve
Message 4 of 26 (184,043 Views)

THANKS A LOT. :smileyhappy:

Tutor
cdbma
Message 5 of 26 (183,751 Views)

[ Edited ]

The utility says that you need "8GB or greater" flash, so I bought a 8GB flash.  Doesn't work; utiltiy says it's too small.  has anyone been successful on a mini 311 with an 8GB flash?

I still don't have a backup of the recovery partition and I'm out the cost of the flash.

Not happy.

Tutor
cdbma
Message 6 of 26 (183,711 Views)

despite the fact that the utility clearly says "8GB or greater," support tells me I need a 16 GB drive.  Great, just great.

p1 Honor Student
Honor Student
p1
Message 7 of 26 (182,425 Views)

I have a new dm3-1130us.

FYI:

I used the HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility for my model (it does not have an CD/DVD drive). I can confirm that a 16GB flash disk is required. Also I used a U3 flash disk and I could NOT boot from it. The recovery utility did create the disk but it simply did not work. U3 disks are formatted to cread two disk drives, one that looks like a CD, and a regular flash drive. When I made the recovery disk I got the utility to write to flash drive not the simulated CD drive.

This seems like a major flaw as you only get one chance to make the recovery disk.

My recommendation is to remove U3 from the flash drive first. There is utility here: http://u3uninstall.s3.amazonaws.com/U3Uninstall.exe, or Google U3 uninstall. Creating a recovery disk DOES work after using this first.

You might wonder how I know this works! Well I am super cautious and had cloned my hard drive to a new one. So I recloned the original drive and made a new recovery disk.

It's amazing I had to go to these lengths to get this stuff to work!

Honor Student
LadySDevil
Message 8 of 26 (180,025 Views)

I have a question. Would this work with the recovery cd's? I'm having the hardest time, I had to send my hp mini in for repairs, defective hard drive. Well, I got it back with the wrong OS. I called, and they sent me the disks, but it doesn't have a cd drive. While I have several utilities that will dump the dvds to iso, I can't seem to find a utility that will put them on a flash drive as bootable so I can restore the unit to factory condition. Would this ulitiy work?

p1 Honor Student
Honor Student
p1
Message 9 of 26 (179,983 Views)

This HP utility is for making a USB flash version of the recovery disks from the original computer (You might want to make a recovery disk for the 'wrong' OS they sent you using this though).

To use the DVDs they sent you the easiest thing to to do would be to buy or borrow a USB DVD drive and restore from there.

You can make a USB bootable flash drive from a bootable ISO. You might also have the additional complication of needing to access all the DVDs they sent you, I imagine you would have to merge the disks onto one USB flash drive.

I have successfully used UNetbootin to make a bootable flash drive from an iso. Also MagicDisk is a useful program to mount an iso as if it were a CD/DVD drive. So try making a bootable flash drive from the first disk using UNetbootin and merging the rest of the disks into it, make sure you have a big enough flash drive. An alternative is to try making a USB bootable hard drive, UNetbootin will do this too.

Good luck.

Honor Student
LadySDevil
Message 10 of 26 (179,951 Views)

I haven't managed to get UNetbootin to do more than boot up with a mention that say default and doesn't nothing but sits at a repeating countdown.

As for mounting as an ISO, I use daemon tools for that and for creating the isos. Where I'm getting stuck is getting the stuff from the iso to the bootable flash drive, in such a way as to launch the restore process.

I'm currently attempting some trick I found using Diskpart and xcopy, but I don't know if I will have any luck there either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation