Question

Student
pelham812
Message 1 of 3 (2,576 Views)

How do I change my computer's name?

I bought a computer from a family member.  How do I personalize it?  I have all of the passwords, I just don't know how to change the computer name and the e-mail address linked to the computer.  For example:  when I go onto a website like craigslist and try to reply to someone, it automatically sends the e-mail from the previous owner's account.  I realize that this was done when the computer was first purchased and set up, but is there a way to change the primary user without having to start all over?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 3 (2,569 Views)

Re: How do I change my computer's name?

[ Edited ]

XP? Vista? W7?

Email has to be changed in the email client software that is installed on the PC, try to determine which program is bing used, and I will point you to some instructions.

If you are talking about the user account name?

This can be done in Control Panel (icon view) > User Accounts > Change Your Account Name

Student
emurlin1
Message 3 of 3 (893 Views)

Re: How do I change my computer's name?

I just got a new laptop and I am not sure how I chose my account name but I want to rename it. How do I do this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation