How to disable trackpad on ProBook 4510s (35913 Views)
Top Student
bigpallooka
Message 1 of 3 (35,913 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to disable trackpad on ProBook 4510s

I have been setting up a Probook 4510s for my disabled son. I have Win 7 installed successfully and and everything working great. Unfortunately, due to his fine motor skill issues he is unable to use the trackpad efficiently and prefers his bluetooth mouse. When using the mouse he often finds himself bumping the trackpad and moving the pointer just as he is clicking. Using a laptop is at best slow for him so it would be great if there was a keyboard shortcut to toggle the trackpad on/off as exists on many laptops. His old Compaq laptop has a button at the top of the trackpad but this one does not. The option to disable in the device properties doesn't exist (greyed out) and I'm concerned that uninstalling drivers could be disastrous if the mouse fails for some reason.

He is completing his senior year at high school including 2 IT subjects so the laptop is an essential tool.

Any recommendations on how to handle this issue?

Grad Student
MattM
Message 2 of 3 (35,898 Views)

Re: How to disable trackpad on ProBook 4510s

[ Edited ]

here is a basic guide for disabling the trackpad

http://www.ehow.com/how_5208452_disable-synaptics-touchpad.html

if that doesnt work, click the start menu, open control panel, open mouse, click device settings tab, and click the disable button.

Top Student
bigpallooka
Message 3 of 3 (35,856 Views)

Re: How to disable trackpad on ProBook 4510s

Thank you MattM but that was greyed out also until .....

I'm not sure what occured but after reinstalling the lateset Synaptics drivers again I was suddenly able to disable in their provided software (it was no longer greyed out). What ever conflict or corruption occured it was cured by uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation