I can't find the Scroll Lock button on my notebook (51690 Views)
Honor Student
rachel231
Message 1 of 17 (51,690 Views)
Accepted Solution

I can't find the Scroll Lock button on my notebook

[ Edited ]

was in a program when something happened to the box I had up on screen, was told to hit the scroll lock key, but I can't find the scroll lock key - can anybody help me??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 17 (51,677 Views)

Re: where is the scroll lock key??

Hi:

Please see if this article is of any help to you. It is for HP business notebooks.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSe...

Paul

Honor Student
rachel231
Message 3 of 17 (51,676 Views)

Thanks.  After much searching on the internet it appears that my laptop does not have a scroll lock or number lock key as my old laptop did.  Do you know if there is a key that can used in place of this?  Apparently the only way I can fix the problem I have with the program I am using is to press the scroll lock key (which I don't have!)

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 17 (51,673 Views)

Hi:

Yes, there is a real easy way. Plug a USB desktop keyboard into a USB port on your laptop and use the scroll lock key on the desktop keyboard.

They normally all have them on the upper right--the separate set of 3 keys.

Paul

Honor Student
rachel231
Message 5 of 17 (51,670 Views)

Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver!!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 17 (51,665 Views)

You're very welcome!

Honor Student
Tom_Orlando
Message 7 of 17 (50,090 Views)

Hi I was out in the world when I ran into the "No Scroll Lock" key / function on mt HP DVP Laptop.  Really, HP could not add a ctrl + function key for this? 

There is an easier solution than hooking an external keyboard, especially if you are not in the home/office. 

USE THE WINDOWS ON SCREEN KEYBOARD!  I found this on another post on the HP board. In Windows 7 you can easily find the On Screen Keyboard  by pressing the windows globe on the bottom right corner that brings up your 'Start Menu" and type in "On Screen" in the search box at the bottom.  You should see "On Screen Keyboard" app come up at the top.  Alternately, go to Control Panel, Ease of Access, and you will see "Start On Screen Keyboard".  Once enabled when you select the on screen application it comes right up.  You can leave the on screen minimized at the bottom if you need to toggle Scroll Lock on and Off. 

So there is a solution that does not include finding an external keyboard.  But HP, this can't be a difficult thing to add to the bios, no?  Like Alt + Fn Num Lock? 

Student
lrlizribeiro
Message 8 of 17 (44,738 Views)

Re: I can't find the Scroll Lock button on my notebook

There is an easier way, you can use the On-screen Keyboart (avaible on Windows 7) do disable it.

Tutor
HPnut
Message 9 of 17 (44,328 Views)

Re: I can't find the Scroll Lock button on my notebook

This does not work in all programs on my ENVY. There really should be a key stroke for this function.

Question: Why are we removing keys that are needed to operate some programs?

This only creates more frustration...

Student
noormd1991
Message 10 of 17 (42,209 Views)

Hi,

Use On screen KeyBoard On ur Laptop ....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation