Laptop Works on Battery not on AC adapter (13238 Views)
Honor Student
Youngjin83
Message 1 of 19 (13,238 Views)

Laptop Works on Battery not on AC adapter

My laptop works perfectly fine on a charged battery.  Everything functions correctly.

Without the battery in, after holding the power button down for 30 seconds and then putting the AC adapter in, the computer powers, but only the fan and blue LED lights for the quick start buttons turn on.  The screen is black like it has no power.  

In summary, a battery with juice = fully functional laptop.

With AC adapter only, not functional.

With AC adapter + battery, if battery is dead, not functional. 

I have tried reseating the RAM and everything that HP has told me to do.  But the AC adapter doesn't turn on the laptop or charge the battery.  I know for a fact that the AC adapter is not at fault nor the battery because I have tested them both on a system and they both work.  Could it be something wrong with the power system?  Or is it a motherboard issue?  

If it is a motherboard issue, are these things repairable or would getting a new motherboard be better?  

Thanks in advance.

PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 2 of 19 (13,232 Views)

Re: Laptop Works on Battery not on AC adapter

First we need the Model number and Product number (PN) from the bottomof your notebook, do not put the serial,number, that's private.

What OS do you have do you have and if you tap the "f10" key on boot you can get the BIOS version.

you have given good information and that helps, I am interested in how you are getting a charge on your battery?

Also where you plug the AC adapter into the notebook is there a light?

Thanks

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Honor Student
Youngjin83
Message 3 of 19 (13,210 Views)

Product is dv6636nr.  When I plug it in, it shows the LED light indicating that the AC adapter is functional.  I charged the battery with a friend's laptop.  I used my own AC adapter and the battery charged to 100%.  The product number is GS664UA#ABA.  When I turn on the laptop with a charged battery, it is completely functional.  No battery and connected to the AC adapter, I can't even get the screen to power on let alone know if F10 pulls up BIOS.  

I'm afraid that a power surge occurred and something happened to the motherboard. 

PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 4 of 19 (13,203 Views)

First let me thank you for the excellent troubleshooting, it really helps narrow it down and can be so hard to do in a forum setting.

If you get the light where you plug it in then the AC adapter sounds like it is working, which means the problem is inside, that would require a repair.

You can make sure if you can borrow a matching adapter, sounds like your friend has one, if that behaves the same way that is confirmation.

You can go on-line and download the latest BIOS version, it's always a good idea, but this really sounds like an internal power issue.

You have an older model so I don't know your warranty status, if you are out of warranty I can't think of any easy work arounds, i.e.. if you you had no internal display you could hook it up to a monitor and use it like that.

In your case you would need a battery charger and a couple of batteries, sounds like a real pain to me, but is your choice.

If you do look at a repair, get some quotes and compare against some of the newer Notebooks, I've seen full featured Notebooks on sale for around $300.00 and BlackFriday is coming up, maybe you want to take advantage of the thanksgiving sales.

Good luck to you.

I am an HP employee
Honor Student
Youngjin83
Message 5 of 19 (13,198 Views)

Thank you for your help - I have already purchased a new laptop from HP.  I really enjoy their machines and think very highly of them.  

If it is an internal power issue, would a laptop repair shop be able to repair that area of the motherboard or would the motherboard need to be replaced?  I have found some decent prices on motherboards online and could do the swap myself.  I want to repair this laptop because I want to use it for work and school and have the dv7t I just purchased at home.  I've seen a lot of websites and stuff say they can 'repair' motherboards, but I'd rather just get a new/used mobo and just use that.  

Once again, thanks. 
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 6 of 19 (13,197 Views)

Obviously I'm using an educated guess here, but I believe you will need a need a replacement  board.
I am an HP employee
Honor Student
napawyne
Message 7 of 19 (11,421 Views)

I know this is an old post. However, if anyone is still listening I am wondering if the problem was ever resolved. I am having the exact same issues with my DV6662se. I have replaced the power jack, power supply and battery. Same problem with the laptop only being able to startup with the battery. I get a light with the AC adapter but no power. Thanks if anyone found a solution.

Honor Student
1mangass
Message 8 of 19 (11,416 Views)

When I turn on the laptop with a charged battery, it is completely functional. 

Honor Student
napawyne
Message 9 of 19 (11,412 Views)

How about with the AC adapter? Everything is pointing to the motherboard. I was just hoping the cause of the problem was something else and not the board. Has anyone found the fix. Did replacing the motherboard cure the power issue?

CDV Student
Student
CDV
Message 10 of 19 (11,154 Views)

I have the exact same issue with my nc6320.

To be exact.  When the laptop is plugged in I can see the green power LED is lit and the battery is charging.  When I hit the power on button - nothing happens.  If I unplug the power supply, the laptop will boot off the battery and function like normal.

If I have the laptop turned off and I plug the plower supply into the back, the laptop boots up as if I hit the power button. 

Does anyone at HP have any ideas why this might happen?  It's almost like the power button is not programmed correctly.  The laptop works perfectly otherwise.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation