Question

Tutor
8430q7s
Message 1 of 69 (151,833 Views)

Laptop won't turn on

MY HP avilion dv4-1117nr laptop won't turn on. When you press the power button the power light flicker on and off for 1 sec. I tested the power sullpy and it's good, 19v..

Thanks,

Hero

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 2 of 69 (151,829 Views)

Re: Laptop won't turn on

Sometimes it is necessary to do a hard reset to erase all of the information in the temporary memory and regain functionality of your PC when it stops responding. For example, doing a hard reset is helpful if your keyboard quits responding, you cannot get your PC to come out of hibernation or sleep mode, or if a software program causes the PC to freeze.
The hard reset will not delete saved files on the hard drive.
Performing a hard reset
To perform a hard reset, follow the steps below.
1-Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC and remove from any port replicator or docking station.
2-Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
3-Press and hold down the power button for about 20 seconds.
NOTE: Holding down the power button while the computer is turned off drains any residual charge in the capacitors.
4-Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook PC.
5-Press the power button to turn the notebook PC back on.

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Tutor
8430q7s
Message 3 of 69 (151,818 Views)

I tried what you have suggested. Removing the battery and power supply, holding the power switch down for 30 sec. but that didn't work. I also tried plugging the the power supply in without the battery, but it's the same thing, the poer light flicker on for a sec and nothing happens.

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 4 of 69 (151,807 Views)

Then you should contact HP to look at your repair options

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Tutor
8430q7s
Message 5 of 69 (151,800 Views)

I did contact HP and i was told that the warranty is up, about 3 week ago. 1 year and 3 weeks, what does that tell you? I was thinking that the motherboard might be the problem, but before i start changing parts, it would be nice to troubleshoot it first. Thanks for your help, any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Hero

Intern
cpuman216
Message 6 of 69 (151,790 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've had this problem before, but at different times. I used to game on my laptop, and I should have known that it wasn't powerful enough to run my games. Sometimes, the computer decided that it had enough of running the game, so it would just shut off. And it wouldn't turn back on until after a certain amount of seconds. What I am basically saying is that it could either be your Graphics Processing Unit or your Central/Core Processing Unit. I think that it is the Processor (CPU) because a computer doesn't turn on without a CPU. The keyboard lights flash, then it turns off. Your only choice, if this were the case, is to get a new processor. It has to be the exact same one that is in your laptop. I would take it into a local computer/electronics store, such as Best Buy, and have them look at it to find out the problem before you go out and spend your money on something that you probably don't even need.

Say Thanks By Pressing the Kudos! Star

:robothappy:

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 7 of 69 (151,783 Views)

The only troubleshooting steps I can provide based on the situation is the one first posted above. If you are outside of warrenty with hp and the vendor you bought the notebook from then there might be some advanced options for you to do personally to try to resolve the issue with taking the notebook apart. If you choose for hp to help you with the repairs out of warrenty fees would apply

Signature:
Student
Alderman_Family
Message 8 of 69 (138,802 Views)

One laptop will NOT turn on what so ever.

We tried plugging it in and holding the power button on too!

It will not turn on at all! :smileysad:

Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 9 of 69 (131,796 Views)

Hi,

The presence of unnecessary Windows files on your system may often create certain problems. Some unnecessary files loaded on your system during start up include Windows sound, Windows fonts, Windows components. Due to the presence of these unnecessary files, your HP Laptop may not come on. In order to avoid this problem, the removal of extra files is very important.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
Teacher
Janludb
Message 10 of 69 (131,552 Views)

for being able to remove files you have to be able to turn your laptop on first.

the story of the chicken and the egg....

Groetjes,

Jan
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation