Question

Student
joshc5674
Message 1 of 2 (3,091 Views)

Need help with compaq cq61 bios

I got a compaq cq61 preasrio a friend accidentally put a bios password(Doesn't no what it is) at start how do i fix this any master keys or where is the cmos battery located or any other way of removing the password

Tutor
johndogg
Message 2 of 2 (2,995 Views)

Re: Need help with compaq cq61 bios

[ Edited ]

CMOS battery is located in the bottom of the computer where the RAM, hard drive is.  There is a big removable panel on the bottom.  Remove this one, and the CMOS battery is round and silver, it is a CR2032 battery.  Use a non-conductive tool to pop it out from the side of the battery socket that has a notch in it.  It should reset the password and clear the CMOS.  If it doesn't, then try Compaq as the password (exactly as I typed it).  This master password is one reported to work, but it may or may not work on your model, depends on how the BIOS was compiled/written at the time of manufacturing.

You may want to wait several minutes before you power the notebook back up without the CMOS battery in it.  Make sure you remove the big battery too while doing this.  Have no power supply connected to the laptop either, until you are ready to use the computer again.  Leave the drive bay open while you have the CMOS battery out, then after several minutes, power it on, and see if you can then boot into Windows.  Then, put the CMOS battery back into the computer (with computer turned OFF)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation