Question
Pavilion dv7-4070us hinge is pulling the casing apart WITH PICS
Replies (98)

Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 11 of 99 (11,837 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7-4070us hinge is pulling the casing apart WITH PICS

wow my typing is horrid... not washed (thanks auto-correct!) WASHER. I'm talking about washers.
Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 12 of 99 (11,837 Views)

Yes, see my response below. :smileyhappy: Good luck!
J-2 Honor Student
Honor Student
J-2
Message 13 of 99 (11,729 Views)

Thanks for all your posts.  I have the same problem beginning on my dv7.  And I have another different HP laptop disabled and sitting as a workstation due to the same cover problem.

I am giving up on HP, also, and will go to a different company in the future.  HP hardware quality is deplorable.

Top Student
MeowPotato
Message 14 of 99 (11,725 Views)

It was 3 months ago that my computer started to do this, and it is still functioning just fine. I never got it fixed or anything. 

Student
jjaguar
Message 15 of 99 (11,662 Views)

[ Edited ]
I am thoroughly p/off.  HP is responsible for this problem, they know that this model has a heat problem, as soon as the warranty, my laptop started heating up, then the problem with the left hinge showed up.  A great laptop with a terrible flaw.  Why wasn't there a recall to correct this problem.  It's too bad for HP that this problem is all over the web, unhappy people saying that they are done with HP.  The way the laptop is put together it took me 2 days to dismantle it, and I have to buy hinges that are not all that easily accesible on the web, really your customers should not have to pay for your obvious design flaws.  Anyone reading this thread, before the problem escalates, properly clean the vents, stop closing the lid and watch the framework for damage until you can get it fixed.  All my problems started with a thermal shutdown.

Mikaelclt wrote:

The left hinge on my Pavilion dv7-4070us is pulling the casing apart. This litteray just happened over night. I've currently have the shell closed and connected to an external monitor, but i sorta need my PORTABLE computer. 

I'm out of warrenty so this looks like it will be a self-fix. So I've got two questions for you guys...

1> Is this a known issue? It seems to be on older models... If so is there a "recall" or anykind of support from HP?

2> Are there any walkthroughs on how to access the hinge (remove upper bevel) for this model? EDIT: Incase anyone else runs into this problem, they're have videos here: HP Services Media Library

hinge1.jpg

EDIT: The videos in HP Services Media Library for dv7-1000 Entertainment Notebook PC series, will only play in Internet Explorer. Who uses Windows Media player anymore.

This whole experiance has made my opinion of HP go straight into the dumps. I WILL not purchase another product from them.

Honor Student
DODGE9454511
Message 16 of 99 (11,423 Views)

yeah i've seen a few of them and have been able to repair them. its hp's fauilt its a poor design. there simply is not enough support to mount that screen right.  so any way the fix... sorry i dont have pics

1. take your laptop apart untill you can remove the screen asmbly from the laptop

2. save the brass part that was made in the the cheap casing and sit that aside

3. knock any lose plastic out and scorr the plastic with a small scewd driver

3. get some jb weld putty and pack it full but make sure you can get your cpu cooler out if you need to

4. you will need to smooth off or sand down the jb weld so that the mount is once again flush and that the top cover and screen fir

5. line up the monitor and hing and mark the screw holes.

6. drill out a hole for the brass insert you saved put that back in place glue or jb weld it back in

7. the screw hole on the bottom of the laptop should be packed full of jb weld as well

8. carefuly put your screen back on and then drill out the screw hole on the bottom just big enough to get the screw in it

9. get a small metal washer and find a longer screw and use that to pinch the laptop bottom casing, hing and top casing back to gether

takes about 2-2.5 hrs to do. but it does fix hp's problem. it can be a real pain if you have never done any thing like that be for. i hope this helps and good luck

Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 17 of 99 (11,414 Views)

That's a good fix, if you're willing to put the time and costs into it. I decided I had enough with HP and their lackluster support. 

I gave up on it.

It's now living life outside of the case. I'll never buy another HP product (here comes the ban). That machine was built horrid, HP avoided any issues and just tossed us by the wayside... why??? BEATS BY DRE.

So HP, as I've said before... I'll never buy another one of your products. You've become Gateway, I hope that makes you feel good.

This post was made on an Apple Blackbook 2009 that has never had shoddy hinge issues. Last PC bought.... ASUS. Maybe you should try some dubstep in your future commercials.... it's worked for IE... :manlol:

Honor Student
RobPantaz
Message 18 of 99 (11,111 Views)

same exact thing is happening to me in the same exact spot. i thought this was due to my mishandling so i purchased another base for like $100... sure enough, few weeks go by and its happening again...

its sad because the laptop itself is excellent. shoddy construction
Honor Student
samejgink
Message 19 of 99 (11,071 Views)

And here I thought I was going crazy. 2 years after buying this laptop, the EXACT same thing is happening to mine in the exact same location. I thought it was dropped.

Looks like it is a desktop now. I know this device has had flaws with heat & the trackpad, but this is absurd.

Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 20 of 99 (11,064 Views)

It's only gone downhill since the last time I posted. I now have heat issues as well (while running open case... **bleep**?!?). This is a paperweight now. I turned it into a media PC but now with the heating issues it's hardly reliable. \

Another thing to note... the charger died. Not that big of a deal, but this is "genuine HP" charger number 3.

If I even thought HP would even address the issue I's drop 20 bucks and throw up a site for people to comment on their issues, but for those of us stuck with these POS machines, we're no longer on radar. 

Sorry this happened to you as well mate. IMO, it's best ti just use it as a desktop then to try to fix it. Throwing more money at it just creates more problems.

Thanks HP! :heart:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation