Question

lbb Tutor
Tutor
lbb
Message 1 of 6 (12,657 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion dv7 can't recognize CD/DVD drive, support "assistant" no help

Subject says it all.  Ever since I got this machine, it's had problems where the CD/DVD drive becomes invisible and can't be accessed by any means.  A reboot has solved it in the past but now that doesn't seem to work any more.  I'd reinstall drivers, but guess what, I don't know what type of drive it is (funny how that works), and Support "Assistant" is apparently ihcapable of figure out the model of this Pavilion dv7 ("Product name: loading..." from now on until the heat death of the universe), so that doesn't help either.  Anyone got a better idea than just blindly installing drivers?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (12,653 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7 can't recognize CD/DVD drive, support "assistant" no help

Hi,

The drivers for CD/DVD drives comes with Windows ( ie with the Operating System - there aren't drivers that you need to download ).  The driver is located in C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys.

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

Check if the drive is now working.

If the drive is not working, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.  Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this, again not deleting drivers if asked. Then open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive ( if it shows up! ) and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.

Reboot the PC and let Windows reinstall the devices.  Check the drive again.

If it still isn't working, run the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below again.

Windows 7

Vista

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

lbb Tutor
Tutor
lbb
Message 3 of 6 (12,650 Views)

Thanks so much!  The automated fixit for Windows 7 did the trick, WOOHOO!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (12,649 Views)

Hi,

I'm glad you got it working.

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
suedee
Message 5 of 6 (10,348 Views)

I'm trying to reinstall my HP officejet 6500 and my computer wont read my cd.

Student
saige
Message 6 of 6 (5,180 Views)

Doesn't work.  Tells me that the best drivers are installed and then that they are corrupted.  And since the CD drive doesn't work, I can't uninstall and reinstall.  This is supposed to be a good computer--the second BIG issue I've had with it and its only 7 months old.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation