Question

Top Student
gregbrown
Message 1 of 6 (10,123 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion g7 Won't Boot from DVD/CD

I have a nearly new Pavilion g7 running Windows 8. I created a Rescue DVD from Fix-It Utilities 14. I went to the BIOS and set BootOption to Internal CD/DVD, saved and exited. The computer shows no error messages  on warm or cold boot, it just boots Windows 8.

Is there another BIOS option which interferes with the specified boot option such as Secure Boot? Something else? Is there somewhere to get more information about what each BIOS option means/does? The descriptions in the firmware aren't sufficient to inform me.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 6 (10,091 Views)

If the unit has secure boot, it will need to be disabled in BIOS. If it shipped with Windows 8, it should have secure boot.

The location of secure boot and the wording of it can be different from notebook to notebook. It can be labeled as secure boot: disable/enable or it could be an option that can be changed between secure boot or legacy.

Secure boot will only boot media that has a matching digital certificate in the system. At this time, the unit only has a digital certificate for Windows 8 and it will only boot Windows 8 if secure boot is enabled.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
gregbrown
Message 3 of 6 (10,084 Views)

Re: Pavilion g7 Won't Boot from DVD/CD

Thank you. In the BIOS Legacy Support must first be enabled and then secure boot disabled in order to boot a rescue disk or another OS on DVD/CD.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 6 (10,079 Views)

I am glad that did the trick for you.

Thanks for letting the community know what the solution was. :smileyhappy:

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
THDTommy
Message 5 of 6 (1,428 Views)

Where is the bios legacy support and secure boot in the bios?

I can't find them

Tutor
francoarmani
Message 6 of 6 (991 Views)

As soon as you press the power on button make sure to begin pressing F10 to enter your Bios

Look for System Configuration, its in there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation