Problem with new Compaq CQ58 (469 Views)
Top Student
renard41
Message 1 of 5 (469 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with new Compaq CQ58

I have bought a Compaq CQ58-201SA as a surprise gift for my young grandson.

BEFORE GIVING IT TO HIM, I want to load some programs, so it's all ready for him to go.  However, when starting the new laptop for this purpose, I get asked to "Choose a Colour" (for the screen) and "Give your computer a name" as part of the initial setup process.  Well, I don't want to do that - it's for my grandson to decide later - but I'm finding it impossible to move past this screen without inputting a name. 

How can I get past this screen?  And will there be any similar hurdles to cross before I can begin loading new software?

Please help a struggling grandad!

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 5 (458 Views)

Re: Problem with new Compaq CQ58

You cannot move past this screen because it's part of what's known as the "Out-of-Box Experience" and generally is what the primary user of the computer should walk-through so that they set the name/settings the way they would like.

You can always change these settings later, but it's best to name the user name the correct name first.
Top Student
renard41
Message 3 of 5 (447 Views)

Many thanks, Kalt.

It's a shame I won't be able to get his laptop in 'ready to go' mode before giving him the gift.  Ah well . . .

Thanks again for your quick and helpful response.

Student
droonka
Message 4 of 5 (280 Views)

hi, sorry. i'm from kazakhstan.

Where drivers for cq58-126 for windowsXP? My laptop not work wi-fi and low video.:smileysad:

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 5 of 5 (267 Views)

Hello droonka,

You are looking for drivers for your laptop.

Here is a link to your driver page.

There are no drivers for XP.

What version of windows came on your computer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation