Question

Student
sd2602
Message 1 of 21 (30,014 Views)

Problem with num lock and keyboard

I have an HP dv9500 laptop. I am running windows vista. I am having a problem when I press the "num lock" button it changes the keys on my keyboard. What is happening is that when the num lock gets pressed the numeric key pad doesnt work (which should happen) but when I press the num lock key again, all of the keys dont type what they should. For example after pressing the num lock key the letter L types a 3, the letter P types a *, the / key types a +. These are just some of the examples of what is happening. If I turn the number pad off (press the num lock again) everything goes back to normal. The only way I can get the number keys to work normally again with the num lock on is by restarting my computer with the num lock on. Anyone have this happen or know what is going on? Thanks!
Top Student
gaelg
Message 2 of 21 (30,024 Views)

Re: Problem with num lock and keyboard

i'm having the SAME problem.... I've installed and reinstalled drivers and updated them. i have the dv9225us. help...it's driving me nuts and makes for a difficult time typing.
JCM Honor Student
Honor Student
JCM
Message 3 of 21 (29,982 Views)

I just received my dv9500z back from repair and now have the same issue.  I went to a local store to examine other HP Notebooks to see if I was crazy.  I saw three differnt models with full size keyboards and numeric keypads.  In all cases, they operated normally.  That is the state of the NUM LOCK did not affect the keyboard, only the numeric keypad.  I did notice in the device manager these notebooks showed the keyboard to be a "101/102-Key Standard or Microsoft natural PS/2" while my notebook shows "Standard PS/2 Keyboard."

I think this is the root of the issue but do not know how to correct it.  Deleting it from the Device Manager does not work.  Upon reboot the system found it to be the same device.  Is it the hardware or the device drivers?

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 4 of 21 (29,978 Views)

1.  Perform a hard reset - unplug the power adapter and eject the battery and let it sit without power for at least 1 minute and then boot it up again.

2.  Update your BIOS - go to your notebooks product page by typing your PN into the search box and going to "software and driver downloads"

These are just 2 broad ideas that might help....

Top Student
gaelg
Message 5 of 21 (29,868 Views)

hi

I tried both of your GREAT suggestions; unfortunatley I still suffer from the same problem on the keyboard issue. Any thing else you or anyone out there can think of. (don't really wanna call tech support.... (they can be hard to understand and it takes forever)
JCM Honor Student
Honor Student
JCM
Message 6 of 21 (29,836 Views)

I am not sure what the solution is, but re-imaging the notebook did not correct the issue.

I did notice that if the Notebook is powered down with the NUM LOCK "On", then at boot up it stays on and all works ok.  But toggle the NUM LOCK key and its back to the way it was before.

I have a box coming Monday to return the Notebook for repair. 

Top Student
vava52
Message 7 of 21 (29,290 Views)

I don't have a permanent solution, but here is the explanation from Dummies.com to what is happening:

The first thing the laptop designers decided to sacrifice on their keyboards was the numeric keypad. Rather than just saw off that end of the keyboard, laptops since the Model 100 have used a combination of numeric keypad/alphabetic keyboard.

This combination can be seen on your laptop by examining the 7, 8, and 9 keys. Note that these are also the top three keys on the numeric keypad. Because of this, a shadow keypad is created using the right side of the alpha keyboard.

Ok, all fine and good, but what about laptops that still have the numeric keypad, there is no need to activate this shadow keyboard. 

A temporary solution;  If you open up your on-screen keyboard and toggle the num-lock, it works correctly.  So, you can turn on num-lock with the on-screen keyboard and then close the on-screen keyboard and everything works fine on your physical keyboard, but if you toggle num-lock on your physical keyboard it goes back to using the shadow keyboard.

Open on-screen keyboard:  vista users just type in keyboard in the startmenu search and you will see onscreen keyboard come up in the search

Hope this helps and I hope someone has a permanent solution to this problem.

Student
midookie
Message 8 of 21 (29,044 Views)

vava52... Thank you!!  I've had the same problem for about a month and it was driving me insane!  I've searched every where and all I saw was people ending up sending their laptops back to HP for repair.  I just couldn't settle for that and there you were with a great solution... Thank you so so very much! 

(Quick question: so this solution IS only the quick fix and the repair needs to be done...am I correct??)

Student
CRJ1001
Message 9 of 21 (26,900 Views)

I think this problem is caused by we plug an USB keyboard or some keypad to playing game. And when we accidentally press the numlock button on the keypad or USB keyboard that made some error of the button in our laptop keyboard. But like him said we could fix it with the on screen keyboard. Thanks to him
Honor Student
srowe4
Message 10 of 21 (26,516 Views)

thank you.  I had the same problem and it was driving my crazy.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation