Reattach a keyboard key (1588 Views)
Student
xoi7803
Message 1 of 3 (1,588 Views)

Reattach a keyboard key

Bought my daughter a G72-261us laptop 8/9/10 and today the page up key came off it also looks like clear rubber is ripped how can we get this fixed? I'm not to computer savy thought HP was better built any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. IMG_0069.JPGIMG_0070.JPG

Teacher
Chraz_Ritt
Message 2 of 3 (1,583 Views)

Re: Reattach a keyboard key

HP in my opinion makes a pretty good product, the fact that it does not stand up to certain rough treatment should not reflect poorly on the machines.

About your problem, when you look at the place where the key should be are there two little parts made to work together? If not did you by any chance find these pieces? The larger one should be a bot smaller than the key, and square. The smaller is shaped mostly like the opening in the larger one. When looking at the smaller one with the narrow end down there are two little pins at the mid point on the sides, and to more at the corners of the top. the middle ones fir into little holes at the middle of the insides of the larger part. To put it all back together takes a bit of delicate work, and you may wish to take the machine to a shop if you are not computer savvy like you say.

IF what I post solves your problem please click the "Problem solved" button on my post.
Oh, and if I have helped you, clicking the 'Kudos' star on my post would not hurt my feelings ether.
Teacher
Chraz_Ritt
Message 3 of 3 (1,577 Views)

Re: Reattach a keyboard key

I did a bit of searching on youtube using search words "keyboard key replacement" and found a number of videos for different but close keyboard parts. This video here has a very similar looking parts to what you are showing, even though the parts go on in a slightly different direction you should be able to use it as a guide. The rubber cap looks good in your picture, and should be no issue.

IF what I post solves your problem please click the "Problem solved" button on my post.
Oh, and if I have helped you, clicking the 'Kudos' star on my post would not hurt my feelings ether.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation