Question

PiP Honor Student
Honor Student
PiP
Message 1 of 8 (7,518 Views)

Sometimes computer stays on when lid is closed

I have a dv2000 a dv2100 CTO to be exact running Windows XP I've had it about two years.  About 10% of the time when I close my laptops lid it remains on and gets hot fast until the battery finally dies.  Everyonce in awhile I'll notice it's sitll on and very hot I open it back up, there are no errors or anything and when I close it again it turns off / hibernates / sleep.  So the problem is definentely sporadic.  Any help would be aprreciated.  I think I have all the latest updates from HP and Microsoft.  So I guess I'm thinking it might be hardware related.  Thanks again.    
Intern
asteriz99
Message 2 of 8 (7,506 Views)

Re: Sometimes computer stays on when lid is closed

if you want your nb to shutdown everytime you close the lcd/lid

-follow this step

-control panel

-power options

-change plan settings

-change advance power settings

-power button and lid

-just close your desire setting. sleep>hybernate>etc..

:smileyhappy:

:smileyhappy:
PiP Honor Student
Honor Student
PiP
Message 3 of 8 (7,505 Views)

Thanks for the reply I might have been a little unclear on my first post. When I shut the lid it is already setup to sleep. However, I have noticed about 10% of the time it either stays on or gets stuck after I have shut the lid. When I say get "stuck" I mean it seems to keep the hard drive and the fan on constantly like it's trying to go into sleep. I have noticed when this happens (about 10% of the time) it gets hot fast and chews through the battery very quickly until the battery goes dead. Every once in awhile I notice it happening in that case I open the lid wait a few seconds (there are no errors or anything) and then shut it again and it goes to sleep fine after that. The problem is of course most of the time I don't notice when it doesn't go to sleep successfully and I only notice it later because when I get my laptop out again the battery is completely dead. I just used your steps you mentioned to make it so the power button also puts the computer into sleep mode. I guess if I can't figure out the problem I'll push the power button and wait for the computer to go to sleep before I shut the lid (it's just a bit of a hassle and also something I will have to get used to doing).
Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 4 of 8 (7,461 Views)

PiP wrote:
Thanks for the reply I might have been a little unclear on my first post. When I shut the lid it is already setup to sleep. However, I have noticed about 10% of the time it either stays on or gets stuck after I have shut the lid. When I say get "stuck" I mean it seems to keep the hard drive and the fan on constantly like it's trying to go into sleep. I have noticed when this happens (about 10% of the time) it gets hot fast and chews through the battery very quickly until the battery goes dead. Every once in awhile I notice it happening in that case I open the lid wait a few seconds (there are no errors or anything) and then shut it again and it goes to sleep fine after that. The problem is of course most of the time I don't notice when it doesn't go to sleep successfully and I only notice it later because when I get my laptop out again the battery is completely dead. I just used your steps you mentioned to make it so the power button also puts the computer into sleep mode. I guess if I can't figure out the problem I'll push the power button and wait for the computer to go to sleep before I shut the lid (it's just a bit of a hassle and also something I will have to get used to doing).

You might have a bad lid switch.

Try this:

Go to settings and change the lid switch to turn off monitor, but not hibernate.

Then try the lid a number of times, and see if it fails to turn off the monitor.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Student
crisco
Message 5 of 8 (7,343 Views)

Re: Sometimes computer stays on when lid is closed. TOO HOT TO HANDLE!

Greetings.

Mine does too.  I updated the BIOS per http://tinyurl.com/2jxruy.  It was too late.  The board had fried and was replaced.  I still have this problem, and it will shut off even when using it and not closing the lid.  Further, HP has asked that I send it back to them again.  I hope they replace it with a model that doesn't consistently overheat.  It woudl be also nice if the design would allow for the screen to not get scratched from keeping it closed.  There is an abrasion line that travels across the front of the screen etched in by the plastic lip above the mouse pad.  It sucks.

Shoulda bought a mac.

So, call HP to see about repair.  Be sure to ask that your hard drive NOT be wiped when you send it in.  An awful way to loose your productivity-- having to restoring your work environment!

Cheers.

CR

Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 6 of 8 (7,255 Views)

Re: Sometimes computer stays on when lid is closed. TOO HOT TO HANDLE!

So, call HP to see about repair.  Be sure to ask that your hard drive NOT be wiped when you send it in.  An awful way to loose your productivity-- having to restoring your work environment!

Cheers.

CR

If you ask them not to reimage the hard drive, They will ignore you. The best thing is to never send your hard drive in. Take the hard drive out of the computer before you send the computer in.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Honor Student
dfieldoo
Message 7 of 8 (7,290 Views)

I have a Pavilion DV2416US. I have this problem also. When I hit the sleep button in the power menu, it wont go into sleep mode. I have also been having problems with my pc taking anywhere from 30 minutes to and hour to load to password screen.
Intern
homergracious
Message 8 of 8 (7,221 Views)

with these problem try to do these steps:

1. select a good power option for the notebook through power management which is accessible in the control panel . in advance mode, there is an option to enable or unable hibernation mode or stand-by mode or edit time when it will come-up from hibernation.

2. if power options would fail then try to update the bios settings of the notebook to update the bios do these steps:

-open IE browser

-go to hp.com

-on the search box on the left type in the product # of the computer (e.g. GA445UA#aba.. note ignore the #sign and characters after it.. just the P/N without the # sign and the characters after it, so it is just GA445UA)

then on product qucik links click on software and driver download

-select your operrating system (be careful in selecting the operating system, to verify go to system properties in control panel)

-once directed on the list of drivers select BIOS, choose the updated one

-when running bios update make sure that there are no devices connected aside from the ac dapter and the cable connection for internet conn (if you are using one)

-your computer will turn off automatically and wait for a minute before you turn it back on

3. do windows update

-in xp it will be a lot better if you will go directly to windows update website for the updates and do not rely on the automatic updates of the nb, to go there ricght click on my computer select properties click automatic updates tab then there will be a link for you to update microsoft through the website, choose express install for the updates and wait till the updates will be installed. updating through the website is necessary bec it will require authentication validation and it will show specific updates that are necessary for your system

4. in any cases that the 3 steps will not fix your issue then try to see if the user acct is corrupted, usually power management will be specific on a user account try to create a new user account and observe if the problem still exist

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation