Strange Keyboard behavior on HP Mini 110-1030NR Netbook (29614 Views)
Honor Student
CaptB3N
Message 1 of 16 (29,614 Views)

Strange Keyboard behavior on HP Mini 110-1030NR Netbook

I am having some strange keyboard behavior on my netbook.  I have only had it for about 6 months, but recently I have encountered an intermittent problem with my keyboard.  Sometimes my netbook boots with the CAPS LOCK key lit, and sometimes it doesn't.  Pressing the CAPS LOCK key by itself does nothing.  On occassion it will even flash on and off randomly not only when the netbook is idle, but also while I am typing which is quite annoying leading to some interesting looking e-mails.  For some strange reason the "fn" key doesn't act as it is supposed to as well.  It works fine when I use it to turn the volume up/down with the f10 and f11 keys, but doesn't work to mute the sound (f8 key) and oddly enough when I do press fn + f8, it will turn the CAPS LOCK on, and off.  Obviously something is not working correctly.  I suspected a possible driver issue.  I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and even went as far as to boot a LiveCD version of Linux to see if I could replicate the problem, and sure enough the same issue in another operating system.  Fortunately, my netbook is still under warranty.  Any idea on how to reslove this?
Student
harlanolson
Message 2 of 16 (29,187 Views)

Re: Strange Keyboard behavior on HP Mini 110-1030NR Netbook

I AM WONDERING IF YOU FOUND A RESOLUTION TO THE CAPS LOCK ISSUE, AS YOU CAN SEE, i AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.   I HAVE NOT FOUND A WAY TO GET IT TURNED OFF.  I'D BE INTERESTED TO KNOW.

REGARDS,

hARLAN oLSON

Honor Student
CaptB3N
Message 3 of 16 (29,158 Views)

My recommendation is to ditch XP and run Linux.  I suggest using Ubuntu Netbook Remix (http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr).  I am an INexperienced Linux user and found setting up to be quite easy and the new interface in version 9.10 is quite pleasing to the eye, in my humble opinion.  You will find that it is responsive and light on system resources as opposed to XP.  There is a little bit of a learning curve to using a different operating system, but I found it quite simple to learn.  All of the software is free and I have found everything I need in open source form including M$ Office. 

Although I ditched XP, I still have the same problem that I described.  The good news is though, that Linux gives you the power to disable the caps lock key completely, and I have found that it resolves my problem.  See instructions here:  http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/2009/04/turnoff-caps-lock-key-in-ubuntu.html.

The only issue that I have come across in this particular Linux distribution on my netbook is that the microphone for the webcam is non-functioning.  After some research, I have found that it is a known issue.  Linux is constantly being improved and updated so I have no doubt that it will be fixed in the near future.  In the mean time, I have found that I can live without it. 

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 4 of 16 (29,151 Views)

This is obviously a hardware or bios issue because you used a different operating system. Try updating your system bios to resolve the issue

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
CaptB3N
Message 5 of 16 (29,147 Views)

[ Edited ]

I came to the same conclusion after some troubleshooting of my own.  Prior to my switch to Linux, I verified my BIOS settings and version ... both are correct and current.  If it were anything more significant than simply disabling the caps lock key, I would have pushed to have my netbook replaced.  The caps lock key is a relic from the typewriter era.  If all i have to do is change a setting in Linux to disable it, I can live with it.

Honor Student
doublefred
Message 6 of 16 (27,676 Views)

erratic jumping cursor on HP laptop -- SOLVED!!

I think I might have fixed the jumping cursor issue. I’m not sure where I got this info, but go to the control panel and click on the mouse icon. If there is no device manager for Symantec, then go to the HP download site and download the latest driver. After the computer reboots, check the control panel to see if it got loaded. I typed this whole paragraph without the cursor jumping once, and I haven’t been able to do that since before the Windows 7 conversion. It’s like stepping into a cool stream. It is just so nice to not have to keep worrying about this. Good luck.

Student
kristajohnson
Message 7 of 16 (27,164 Views)

after spending over an hour with an hp rep trying to figure out the problem with my jumpy keyboard with no luck I tried checking blogs and someone suggesed  going to the mouse control settings and turning off the TAPPING option.  thanks so much to the person who suggested that fix as it worked! too bad the hp support guy couldn't have suggested that from the get go----now I love my hp netbook.....so if your curser jumps around, disable the tapping in the mouse options and that will fix it.

Student
hprck
Message 8 of 16 (25,849 Views)

to make the keyboard work correctly you can not rest your wrist on around the touchpad. I have had this computer for about 5 months. I have also made it a habit of not resting my wrist while typing. The reason why it does that is because, the touchpad is a little bit too sensitive.  It is not the keyboard's fault its the users. :smileyhappy:

Student
chiefhowie
Message 9 of 16 (23,646 Views)

This is a common problem, with mini110-1100. I bought one the keyboard works off and on. I sent it back under warranty, I was told I drop it . I did not. Then they changed it to hard use of keyboard, not. Sent it back after I refused to pay $234, with screws missing. I use the on board screen key board. 

I work for a major Retail.

This is a poor quality. I recommend other mini's.

H.P. service as well as Dells has went down hill in the last few years.

Student
fongfh
Message 10 of 16 (23,545 Views)

Hi all,

I wonder if you have found a solution to this caps lock bahaviour problem?

My 110 mini is also having this problem - al of a sudden. It used ot be ok. Nothing that I tried seems to work. I had updated the BIOS and some of the drivers. But the caps lock key is still STUCK. And it is really iritating to say the least.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation