Question

Student
Bean9261
Message 1 of 2 (2,881 Views)

Stuck on Safe Mode Selection Screen...HELP PLEASE

When I turn on my computer it automatically stops at the Safe Mode selection screen. This is after the windows start up screen appears briefly as well as the HP screen too. The safe mode screen gives options such as "start windows as normal", "safe mode", safe mode with networks" and a couple others. It gives me the option of making a choice or "Windows will restart automatically in 30 seconds". It does try to restart but it returns back to this screen in a couple seconds and the process starts all over. What can I do? I do not know why this happened. HELP ANYONE!! PLEASE! THANK YOU.

Teacher
Morpheous416
Message 2 of 2 (2,939 Views)

Re: Stuck on Safe Mode Selection Screen...HELP PLEASE

Choose "Safe Mode".

If the NB starts up in safe mode with no issues.. try this first.  Go to Programs and Features and uninstall the graphics driver.  Restart your system.  If it boots normally after that.. try downloading the newest driver for your NB or re-install the original drivers thru the recovery manager.

If it continues to fail starting normally.. boot back to safe mode, go to your start menu... type in msconfig in the start search section.  In the configuration tool.. go to the services tab, check the box to hide all MS services.  Then uncheck all remaining in the list.  Go to the startup tab, and uncheck all boxes.  Restart.  If it boots normally after that, it's going to be a third party installation that's causing the OS to fail to initialize.  You'll have to check your system to find out which it is..

Should all fail, back up what you can in safe mode to a flash device, and run the recovery manager from F11 (at system startup, HP logo screen).. and run the full recovery.  It may be possible to run a system restore.. though I've rarely seen that option work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation