Question

Honor Student
b1eavis
Message 1 of 8 (13,451 Views)
Accepted Solution

Touch buttons at top of keyboard not working.....

Bought an HP 1451nr laptop a few weeks ago and love it, however, noticed today that the touch-sensitive buttons at the top of the keyboard (the mute button, volume button and wireless assistant button) on what I believe is called the capacitive strip, are not working.  You can change the volume and mute OK, the sound is working fine, just none of the buttons are working.

E-mailed HP and they suggested a system restore would solve the problem, and it didn't.  Surely someone else has had this problem....any suggestions?

thanks in advance.......

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 8 (13,456 Views)

Re: Touch buttons at top of keyboard not working.....

Sometimes electrical components needs to have all power sources removed and reintroduced to work properly.  Try performing a hard reset first, if it doesn't work then we'll move to the next step.

To Perform A Hard Reset

• Shut down the computer by going to the Start menu and selecting shut down. (If you have no display, hold the power button down for  5 seconds)
  • Disconnect the AC Adapter from the notebook.
  • Remove the battery from the bottom of the notebook.  There will be a switch/button to eject the battery.
  • Wait at least 1 minute with all power sources disconnected.
  • Re-insert the battery and reconnect the AC Adapter and then attempt to power on the notebook.
Honor Student
b1eavis
Message 3 of 8 (13,343 Views)

Your suggestion worked perfectly....thank you very much

Student
sscarz6
Message 4 of 8 (13,185 Views)

I had this exact same problem with my Pavillion dv6 notebook, and seriously thought I was going to have to send it to HP or restore it, which would have been extremely annoying. Thankfully this solution really worked! The buttons are working just fine now. Thanks so much!! :smileyhappy:
Tutor
tlee
Message 5 of 8 (13,165 Views)

Hi Kalt,

Surf your post lately. 

I have the same problem in DV7-2124tx. It caused unhappy due purchase 1 day only. And found that must posts reflect this issues in DV series.

my other post

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Sound&thread.id=3750

To me, after did hard reset, it also happen again several 10 mins later.

Do you think it is hardware design problem? Why does the HP desgin team of DV series didn't follow it?

If HP cannot shoot the problem, could we ask refund ?  Or, do work around solution to release a beta BIOS to total disable Quick Launch touch buttons pad temporarily. (It likes to disable the "port" data receive between the circuit board of Quick Launch Touch bottons pad and the Main PCB.)

And we just trust HP that they will find the real solution to shoot that issue plus ask the warranty extension.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Student
amoser1
Message 6 of 8 (11,839 Views)

Same problem here -- and your solution worked. Thank you for taking the time to post--

Student
Alex7t1
Message 7 of 8 (4,174 Views)

This worked for me, too. The issue I had was that I had to press the fn key every time I wanted to use the multimedia keys. Thank you!
Top Student
PhoneticPanic
Message 8 of 8 (2,746 Views)

The hard reset worked beautifully for my HP Pavilion dv6-1410eg. Thanks a lot! :-D
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation