Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I HAVE A HP 2000 NOTEBOOK PC-64-BIT,WINDOWS 8.

I inserted my small USB Flash Drive inot the laptop, however, I do not see it at all!

I hear a noise when it goes in telling me its is there,but where?

On my old computer  (HP XP, desktop), it would open up in a box and ask if I want to take action or not,etc.

When I insert  the drive nothing happens. Can anyone help me out there? Does it have anything to do with my popups or my Norton security settings as I am baffled?!

Thanks!

dee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Check "Computer" to see if the drive shows up there.

In Windows 8, open Settings search using keyboard shortcut Windows Key+W, type "autoplay" in Search box and click AutoPlay. You can tell it what to do with every type of media upon insertion.

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Check "Computer" to see if the drive shows up there.

In Windows 8, open Settings search using keyboard shortcut Windows Key+W, type "autoplay" in Search box and click AutoPlay. You can tell it what to do with every type of media upon insertion.

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

@deenews421 wrote:

I HAVE A HP 2000 NOTEBOOK PC-64-BIT,WINDOWS 8.

I inserted my small USB Flash Drive inot the laptop, however, I do not see it at all!

I hear a noise when it goes in telling me its is there,but where?

On my old computer  (HP XP, desktop), it would open up in a box and ask if I want to take action or not,etc.

When I insert  the drive nothing happens. Can anyone help me out there? Does it have anything to do with my popups or my Norton security settings as I am baffled?!

Thanks!

dee

Hi there!

This could very well be a problem with your system. If it doesn't display on 'My Computer', you should rely on the Autorun. Autorun is what makes the little popup appear that states what action you want to execute next. I really think that Norton is starting this problem because some antiviruses nowedays block the autorun as it can execute a malware.

The solution is that you should temporarity disable USB protection or all of the protections while accessing your USB Drive!

Alternatively, you can execute the Properties by clicking Windows Key +  W (i think) and clicking on autorun

I hope this helps!

Best Regards!

Shayan Doust 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** Did I answer your Question? Please Mark Me As 'ACCEPT AS SOLUTION'
***Feeling Generous? Please Kudo Me (click on white star) 🙂

*I Help People EveryDay With Their HP Products!)
HP Recommended

Dear Helper,

Your  suggestion definately worked! When I went to " Autoplay" there was no default action  taken on the Device settings. So I set it to "view" and have them set as icons to view them. Now I am extremely happy.! I appreciate your solution; it was easy to do! 

I also learned something about my computer too, as I had no idea how to  control the settings for media!

Thank you,

dee

HP Recommended

I have an HP ENVY h8-1534 PC running WIn 8 and now WIn8.1

I keep having, intermittent, trouble with two different Sandisk  Cruzer Fit Drives. One 16 GB and the other 32 GB.

Generally when I plug either in I hear a beep... Device Manager recognizes the drives as Disk Drives : San Disk Cruzer Fit,

Portable Drives recognizes the drives with their label or Drive Letter.. It seems to change

In Windows Explorer when clicked," This PC" will search ,and find the appropriate Drive Letter... R:\ or S:\ and list it under Devices and Drives

but only about 1 time in 10 or 20 will the drive be recognized as a Drive under "This PC" (Far Left Column)... Below OS(C:), Recovery Image (D:) and ("what is now missing as" DVD RW Drive (E:)")

When "This PC" finishes searching, Drive "R" or Drive" S" will appear below other normal drives for a second then disappear again. BUT still remain under Devices and Drives.

Under Computer Management\Portable drives the USB Drive will, randomly appear as Errored.

I have tried EVERY hint I have been able to find both here on HP and on the SanDisk site with remarkably similiar but useless results.

I have just tried drives by;  Lexar, Corsair, Toshiba, and Kingston and they all seem to work fine...

But the Sandisk drive continue to malfunction.... AND my DVD drive is still missing. I had problems with the DVD when I first tried to burn a DVD and had to uninstall the drive and reinstall it.... which seemed to work for a while.

Theses Sandisk USB drives work fine in every other machine I have but they are all running XP.

SO I am Stumped......

Thanks

Peter

HP Recommended

my sister gave me a photo "stick" transcend jfv30/4 G B. am SO computer illiterate i can not figure out how to use it.

any chance u can help? i have NO $$

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.