Question

Top Student
falling
Message 1 of 4 (11,568 Views)
Accepted Solution

dv4-2040 won't boot up- 'Hard disk does not exist'

[ Edited ]

The other day when I tried turning my laptop on, I recieved an error message at start-up:

BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND

Please istall an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard disk (3F0)

It then tells me f2 for system diagnostics and where to go for more information. I've tried running start up and hard disk tests, but they all tell me the hard disk does not exist. I can't even use my recovery disks to reset the computer: I can't access Recovery Manager

I don't understand why this is happening, as only a few hours previous to this error, the computer was working perfectly. Can someone please explain what's going on and help me fix this? Thank you.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 4 (11,368 Views)

Re: dv4-2040 won't boot up- 'Hard disk does not exist'

Hi,

Sorry but I haven't got good news. Your HDD is corrupted.

If Your model is still under warranty then please contact with HP. How to do it all informations here (just choose Your country).

They will replace it with new one.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 3 of 4 (11,365 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try this..

http://www.fixya.com/support/t3640428-every_time_turn_new_pc_get_black

edit: I have noticed more issues like this on HP laptops. My hdd is going to fail(once did, but I fixed it) as well because S.M.A.R.T. says 400+ bad sectors on the hard drive after 6 months..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
Jenig60914
Message 4 of 4 (2,723 Views)

[ Edited ]

what is HDD stand for? Hard Drive Disk is bad or something maybe just the hard drive can be replaced and then it would be better or is there something else? It is confusing to me I am computer literate but not on this subject grrrr. Please help thanks

{Private Information Removed}

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation