hp pavilion dv6 notebook shuts down due to overheating. (10944 Views)
Honor Student
juggiejugs
Message 1 of 24 (10,944 Views)

hp pavilion dv6 notebook shuts down due to overheating.

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I have the HP Pavilion dv6 notebook pc XL599EA#ACQ and I am having problems with it shutting down due to overheating.  I am not even running any major problems, but the fan seems to be on constantly.  I even bought a notebook stand with a fan and the machine is still running extremely hot.

Please help.

Thanks

Joanne

Grad Student
HPSAwizard
Message 2 of 24 (10,933 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dv6 notebook and it shuts down due to overheating.

You could try cleaning the Air Vents on your Notebook.   The following article describes how:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01657439

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
Honor Student
juggiejugs
Message 3 of 24 (10,931 Views)

[ Edited ]

All air vents are clear and clean.

Grad Student
HPSAwizard
Message 4 of 24 (10,926 Views)

The next this to check is your BIOS version.  You can check for BIOS updates using HP Support Assistant or by going to www.hp.com/go/support

Make sure you have the latest version.  

If this does nto correct the issue you may need to schdule a repair to check the cooling system.  

I work on behalf of HP.

Grad Student
HPSAwizard
Message 5 of 24 (10,924 Views)

Something else you can check when you run HP Support Assistant is make sure you have the latest drivers installed. 

Also, you may have malware that is running in the background causing your CPU to run when you expect it to be idle.   You can check this by running the Windows Task Manager.  You can launch by searching Start for "Task Manager"  Click on "View running Processes with Task Manager".   It will show it you have processes running that could be heating up your CPU.    System Idle should be you top process.  

I work on behalf of HP.

Honor Student
Frustr8dOwner
Message 6 of 24 (10,625 Views)

I tried all your answers and none work. This equipment is a POS. There is NO reason that a laptop should actually burn you while it's on your lap. 

I too have the same problem that this first poster has described and tried all of your "solutions" and have had no success.

Grad Student
HPSAwizard
Message 7 of 24 (10,618 Views)

The best answer I can give you is to contact HP Support.   You may have a loose heat sink or fan not operating correclty.  

I work on behalf of HP.

Top Student
Robh5200
Message 8 of 24 (8,753 Views)

I too am also having the same problem. After 30 minutes the laptop is so hot that it shuts down. All vents are cleane etc with no sign of a ust problem causing the overheating. Have purchased a twin cooling fan base to assist however whilst this may have assisted marginally the lap top is still overheating.

This does seem to be a fairly common problem for these machine and one that HP seems to not want to know about,acknowledge or assist owners/users in rectifying.

Unless I get assistance from HP in the near future I am sorry but the replacement machine seems highly unlikely to be an HP.

Come on HP as a n international company with a hard earned reputation it is about time that you helped customers with what seems to be a design or operational problem.

My dv6 is approximately 20 months since purchased so of course is outside of warranty supplied.However I an sure that HP would expect it to last at least several years before burning up!

I look forward to hearing from HP in due course.

Robh5200

Top Student
lingoes
Message 9 of 24 (8,741 Views)

I am also have this probelm, So I set the bios AUTO shut-down CPU-temperatur off. But I do not know if some day my cpu burned out. 

HP Pavilion dv6-7010us 15.6-Inch 1.9 GHz A-Series Quad-Core A8 4500M 6 GB SDRAM 6Cell laptop battery 750 GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Honor Student
juggiejugs
Message 10 of 24 (8,734 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dv6 notebook shuts down due to overheating.

I fully agree with you Rob, i am very disappointed with the supposed solutions HP have given me. I still am having the problem. But as you say with the machine no longer under warranty they are not interested in assisting. I am due to upgrade soon and definately will not be buying an HP again. Bad after service.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation