unknnown file?? (2520 Views)
Honor Student
mrfrecks65
Message 1 of 2 (2,520 Views)

unknnown file??

The other day after booting up my computer, I clicked start >computer>clicked c:\  driveand I noticed a file I had not noticed before, it was named  FINIS_IT i clicked to open it  and up came a note pad document that read like a script

as follows: Finis - Starting
Finis checking for AuditBoot key
Finis AuditBoot key not 1
Application recovery mode
Finis completed

I googled it and found a few links with queries to tech forums, one panicked person suggested when he found the same file on his computer that it is a "root kit". all the replies that were users that weren't sure what it is and what it is for , was not able to find anything definitive one way or the other, just wanted to know if anyone does know what this file is .....is it supposed to be there, is it in fact a root kit? I would just like to find out i'm kind of freaked out about it. and would like to knnow if it is a virus of sorts how can I get rid of it as I scanned it with Norton and Norton did not find any virus or spyware. I would appreciate some help on this if anyone knows anything about what type of file this is.....Thanks

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 2 (2,294 Views)

Re: unknnown file??

FINIS_IT.TXT - This is a file that is created when the system is undergoing a Recovery process storing the log details of this process. This is basically to for technicians to troubleshoot if you encounter any issues with the Recovery process.

Finis - Starting: After formatting the drive and copying the image files and extracting the OS files, start to boot the system

Finis checking for AuditBoot key: Checking if the Audit mode is available to install all the bundled applications

Finis AuditBoot key not 1: Once you successfully boot into Operating System, change the auditboot key so that it does not boot into Audit mode again.

Application recovery mode: In the Audit mode, it installs all the applications

Finis completed: This process is complete indicating a successful recovery.

I hope this information helps. This might not be 100% accurate but this is the gist of the process.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation