Question

Student
pawdawg
Message 1 of 13 (867 Views)
Accepted Solution

8600 printer will not wake up

HP 8600 printer will not wake up, if I unplug it the printer come out of sleep.  It is plugged into the wall socket. I am running XP

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 13 (855 Views)

Re: 8600 printer will not wake up

[ Edited ]

How is it connected?

Is the 8600 firmware up to date?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Honor Student
kenlevi
Message 3 of 13 (616 Views)

How is this a solution?
Regents Professor
8lives
Message 4 of 13 (608 Views)

Hi kenievi, same ? for you.

How is the 8600 connected?

Firmware up to date?

Operating system?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a HP employee.
Honor Student
kenlevi
Message 5 of 13 (605 Views)

I have a wireless connection with the top of the line ASUS router. I am using windows 7 (64bit).
I did update the firmware but just notice there is another one posted just 2 days ago. I just updated to that version. I will know tomorrow if it wakes up.

thanks
Ken
Regents Professor
8lives
Message 6 of 13 (603 Views)

Ken, two more things that may help solve this problem.

Make sure the 8600 is connected directly to the wall power plug.

Use a static IP for the 8600.

I am not a HP employee.
Honor Student
ctbram
Message 7 of 13 (434 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not just NO but HELL NO! This is NOT solved for me. I have the printer connected directly to a wall socket, I have the latest drivers and printer firmware. I am running Windows 7 Pro x64. I also own a hp m401dw on my netwrok and it wakes up just fine!

With the oj 8600 once it goes into sleep mode I can still ping it with no packet loss and I can even go to its web interface and it says it's ready and online! But when I send a job I just get a popup saying the printer is unreachable and I only have the option to cancel the print request. Then if I power cycle the printer the job prints even if I had selected the only option which was cancel!

I can even go touch the touch screen and wake the printer up and print locally and it will print from the touch screen but still will say unreachable if I try to print from the network.

I must power cycle the printer in order for jobs submitted from the network AFTER the printer has gone into sleep mode to print!!!!

This is making me want to take a bat to this printer and I am sick of HP trying to blame it on EVERYTHING but the printer!

Honor Student
PTyson
Message 8 of 13 (118 Views)

After a recent automatic printer update, my printer started doing the exact same thing. This has happened to me before after automatic "updates" only to disappear after another automatic update. What a joke these updates are. I would not buy another HP printer. I already had this 8600 replaced under warranty due to a document feed issue. I had a Lexmark with VERY low ink costs that I NEVER had problems with but it burned up in a house fire. This printer is always requiring maintaining of some sort. I consistently have problems with the scan feature and although the document feed does work most of the time now, I still have to babysit it when scanning multiple documents.

Anyway, Did you ever gat a REAL solution to this problem? If so please post in detail. Thanks in advance.

Honor Student
ctbram
Message 9 of 13 (104 Views)

The only reply I got was to blame it on everything but the printer.

So I solved teh problem.  I toosed the brand new HP piece of junk (hp 8600) in the trash and went out and bought a lexmark which is working beatifully.  I would not purchase an HP prointer again nor would I recommend one to anyone.  Their support is completely non-existent.  

I do not know how they test their machines but if they simply refuse to investigate and properly understand why their pronter does not wake up.

I am not the only one complaining about this problem and their answer is just to piss on me and anyone else that is having the problem and not even attempt to understand why it is happening or how to fix it.

So I took it upon myself to fix the problem by purcahsing a Lexmark and it has no problerm waking on LAN and so Lexmark can thank HP for creating another happy Lexmark customer.

Honor Student
PTyson
Message 10 of 13 (97 Views)

I really miss my Lexmark. The ink costs for this HP are insane compared to the Lexmark  that I had. I think that the print quality was better on the Lexmark too.

I think I found the solution for me. There is something buggy in the wireless setup in the printer. I turned off the printer, turned off the wireless router for 30 seconds, turned the router back on, waited for it to boot up, and then turned the printer back on. It will now print when in sleep mode. I have the router on a UPS power backup so it does not get turned off when the power goes off. It has probably been some time  since it was rebooted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation