Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge (72964 Views)
Student
mikeisawesome
Message 1 of 65 (72,964 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

My printer will not print black and white unless a empty color cartridge is replaced.  I was told there is a setting to fix this in the preferences but i can't find it .

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 65 (72,958 Views)

Re: Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

Please read this post then provide some details. What printer model?  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
Jina
Message 3 of 65 (72,956 Views)

I have exactly the same problem. I have Windows Vista and urgently need to print a greyscale document. I tried changing the  Control Panel->Printer->Select Printing Preferences->Color Options ->click on "print in greyscale". And the document I send to the printer is greyscale, I checked the document properties in the printer queue. However the HP Photosmart C7280 just takes no notice at all, it says "Cannot Print - replace the following empty cartrige" (the yellow). So, my conclusion is that the most important function of this multifunction printer is to generate as much cash as possible for HP through forcing people to buy color cartriges even when they are not needed. My next printer will NOT be a HP since I need a printer that will fill my needs, not those of HP. 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 65 (72,948 Views)

Jina wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. I have Windows Vista and urgently need to print a greyscale document. I tried changing the  Control Panel->Printer->Select Printing Preferences->Color Options ->click on "print in greyscale". And the document I send to the printer is greyscale, I checked the document properties in the printer queue. However the HP Photosmart C7280 just takes no notice at all, it says "Cannot Print - replace the following empty cartrige" (the yellow). So, my conclusion is that the most important function of this multifunction printer is to generate as much cash as possible for HP through forcing people to buy color cartriges even when they are not needed. My next printer will NOT be a HP since I need a printer that will fill my needs, not those of HP. 

HP makes many different types of printers for many different needs.  The printer you have, the C7280 has permanent printheads that require ink available to keep the printheads from becoming clogged.  If printing was done with no color ink available the printheads would be drying out during the time the printheads are waving around doing the printing.  This would result in a damaged printing system that would likely require service to recover. See here for information on how ink is used in HP printers.  The C7280 is an IIC printer as described in the link above.  

Your conclusion is not correct.

For your needs an IPH printer could be a better match.  Note that this is not an HP issue, other manufacturers with IIC type printers have similar requirements.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Student
csmith
Message 5 of 65 (72,811 Views)

Hey- Saw your post that answered a question I had as well and now I understand why I can't print in black only when one of my color cartridges is out.  I'll be looking for another type of printer shortly.  I don't intend to be held hostage again!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 65 (72,810 Views)

csmith wrote:

Hey- Saw your post that answered a question I had as well and now I understand why I can't print in black only when one of my color cartridges is out.  I'll be looking for another type of printer shortly.  I don't intend to be held hostage again!

The Deskjet 6980 may be a good match for your needs.  It uses the 96/97 cartridges which are relatively long life (840 black and 570 color pages) and will allow printing with one of the cartridges empty or even removed completely.

Student
schultzm
Message 7 of 65 (72,045 Views)

Nice answer, but the J5750 has IPH cartridges and still refuses to print when color cartridge is empty.  Absolutely will not go when it's removed. 

I haven't been able to figure out a software way to make it happen (don't get me started on HP printer software...).  I tried the "use greyscale" trick - didn't do for me.  Managed to squeak out one more copy by removing the color cartridge and gently tapping it against the palm of my hand (with tissue in place to catch ink!).  The old "give it a shake".  Not a satisfactory solution. 

I also read where some printers use the color even when printing black text - for better quality.  That's nice.  But if it's late at night and man, I just gotta get one more b&w document printed, this kind of failure is pretty disappointing, at best.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 65 (72,038 Views)

[ Edited ]

schultzm wrote:

Nice answer, but the J5750 has IPH cartridges and still refuses to print when color cartridge is empty.  Absolutely will not go when it's removed. [snip] 

There is a difference between empty and removed.  Many of the all-in-one IPH printers will complain if a cartrdige is removed but will happily print if the cartrdige is present but empty.  (It does require that the empty cartrdige is still electrically sound.)

Honor Student
ianelvagabundo
Message 9 of 65 (71,722 Views)

I have a similar problem, I have an HP Photosmart B109n and MacBook Pro running OS X.

The cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges have run out but are still in the machine (no colour appears at all when I print a test page).The black cartridge is new and full (black text prints fine on test page).

However, when I try to print a greyscale JPG image it attempts to print it using the colours. It goes through all the motions and sounds and looks like it is printing, but the paper comes out blank.

It's a B&W photo, and I've tried printing from Photoshop and even saving it as a PDF and printing it from Acrobat, but always the same problem.

I've checked every software setting I can find and still no luck.

It's bizarre, why does it attempt to print an image which has no colour by using colours?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Student
EricFoss
Message 10 of 65 (71,676 Views)

[ Edited ]

As I've just experienced the exact same problem with an OfficeJet Pro L7680, I will never purchase another HP printer again.

Just who was the winner in corporate who thought that infurating customers was a successful business model.  "Listen, fellas!  This way we'll be forcing them to purchase more ink..."

{Content Removed: Be Respectful}

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation