Question
Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge
Replies (69)

Honor Student
o2night
Message 31 of 70 (10,277 Views)

Re: Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

Same problem here with a HP Officejet Pro 8500!  
The software gives me the option of printing in grayscale with both black and white only available, as well as High Resolution.  But when I choose black and white with black ink only, I still get that "cannot print.  Replace such and such color cartrudge:"

It's very frustrating.  The ink is simply too expensive for these machines.  You could nearly buy a brand new printer for what you pay for the ink replacement cartridges.

Top Student
Remixkidd
Message 32 of 70 (10,233 Views)

This is ridiculas! If you were looking out for your customers you would make the printer so you could print black without the color cartridges. This is a ploy to get more money and to FORCE us to buy ink when we don't need it. I am definitely pulling out of ink needing cartridges and bought a new printer today that only prints black. It won't be an HP after this experience! I hardly ever use color and you should be ashamed at the way this printer is made!! It makes not sense! I have a new black cartridge and can't even use. Thanks HP!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 33 of 70 (10,225 Views)

[ Edited ]

Remixkidd wrote:

This is ridiculas! If you were looking out for your customers you would make the printer so you could print black without the color cartridges. This is a ploy to get more money and to FORCE us to buy ink when we don't need it. I am definitely pulling out of ink needing cartridges and bought a new printer today that only prints black. It won't be an HP after this experience! I hardly ever use color and you should be ashamed at the way this printer is made!! It makes not sense! I have a new black cartridge and can't even use. Thanks HP!

What printer model? HP and other printer manufacturers have different printer technologies for different needs.  

• Some have printheads built into the ink cartridges.  These printers can typically print with one or more of the colors completely empty, or even with color or black (but not both) cartridges removed. The Deskjet 6980 series is an example.  
  • Other printers have separate ink supplies and replaceable printheads.  An example would be the Officejet 6500 printers.  The printhead in these printers can be replaced if they are damaged by running the printhead with colors out.  Some of these printers will allow printing with a color out, other will not.  If the printer is run without ink in one or more colors the printer may be damaged, but the user may be able to recover without having to send the printer for service.
  • Other printers have permanent printheads.  To run these without some ink in all the colors would risk causing damage to the printhead due to clogs, air ingested in the printhead or burned out printhead firing resistors.  The Photosmart 3310 series is an example of this type of printer. For printers with fixed printheads this could require service to get the printer to print properly again when the ink is finally replaced.  

If you seldom use color inks you would want a printer (whether from HP or another manufacturer) that does not use fixed or separate printheads.  If you never print in color a black and white laser printer may be your best choice.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
mshcah
Message 34 of 70 (10,064 Views)

How can I check whether a particular printer is IPH or IIC? At the moment I am interested in a Photosmart 5520, so good to have an answer for this model, but it would be good to know where one can find this information at any time. Thanks.

Honor Student
whiteoaks
Message 35 of 70 (9,958 Views)

When we replaced our black and white ink cartridge, we removed the color, as we don't use it.  Our printer will not work     with just the b/w cartridge and simply reads "Print cartridge(s) missing or not detected."  What can we do to fix this?  Thankyou.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 36 of 70 (9,954 Views)

whiteoaks wrote:

When we replaced our black and white ink cartridge, we removed the color, as we don't use it.  Our printer will not work     with just the b/w cartridge and simply reads "Print cartridge(s) missing or not detected."  What can we do to fix this?  Thankyou.

It is pretty obvious - your printer requires both cartridges, you will need to reinstall the color cartridge. 

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 37 of 70 (9,953 Views)

mshcah wrote:

How can I check whether a particular printer is IPH or IIC? At the moment I am interested in a Photosmart 5520, so good to have an answer for this model, but it would be good to know where one can find this information at any time. Thanks.

You can go to the HP SureSupply site and look up the supplies for a printer you are interested in.  IIC printers will have individual ink supplies, one for each color.  IPH printers will generally have a black cartridge, a tri-color cartridge and occasionally an optional photo cartridge. 

Top Student
Remixkidd
Message 38 of 70 (9,939 Views)

I bought a Samsung Laser Printer used for 100 with a full toner cartride. The replacement cartridge is $30 and it prints faster and better. Will never buy another one of the printers that requires ink. Makes no sense. My old LexMark printer worked fine even when the color ink was out I could print black only. lol This is a money maker only. Tired of buying ink.

Honor Student
1600D
Message 39 of 70 (9,871 Views)

1600D is a pretty simple printer.

any way to print color only.

In fact, I bought a new cartridge it still prompts empty cartridge and can not print at all.

Thanks

Honor Student
1600D
Message 40 of 70 (9,871 Views)

Sorry I meant black&white only i/o color only

i.e. I need to print without color

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation