Question

Honor Student
fashionstorm
Message 1 of 3 (4,518 Views)

Cannot change printer properties when printing .pdf

I select to print a pdf that opens in IE. When I select the print button, the print dialog comes up as expected. However, I cannot click properties to change the print settings. For some reason when I click to print a pdf it uses some default settings that are not my preferences (my prefs are fast draft, auto duplex and black ink only)/. What it prints is all std defaults.

I've noticed on some documents if I open them in adobe I can access the printer options so thats a workaround. But for shipping lables (which I do a lot of) I dont have that option - the carrier presents to me in web form and all I can do is select print. But I cannot change the printer settings. As a result, my brand new 8500 printer is drinking ink like a dry lake bed.

Please help

Student
scleland2000
Message 2 of 3 (4,376 Views)

Re: Cannot change printer properties when printing .pdf

I have the exact identical problem.  Brand new printer (HP PhotoSmart C4780) on a brand new PC (Windows 7).  I cannot access the printer properties dialog box when the PDF file has been opened in an embedded Adobe Viewer window in Internet Explorer.

When I select [Print] from Word or Adobe Viewer, or anywhere else, I can then press the [Properties] button and it opens the printer properties just fine.

But if I open a PDF document through Internet Explorer, clicking on that [Properties] button doesn't do anything.  No error or anything.  If I press the [Save] in the Adobe Acrobet-embedded Internet Explorer window, it too does nothing.  This leads me to think it is an Adobe Acrobat issue.  However, I have found nothing in their support forums on this topic.

Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Scott

Honor Student
jdhill93
Message 3 of 3 (3,878 Views)

Re: Cannot change printer properties when printing .pdf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation