Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Every morning printing fails until I reboot the printer.  After that everything functions normally.  My daughter has the same model with Windows 7 and experiences the same problem.  This only began a few weeks ago.  Is there a solution for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printers Properties.

You sure it can't be turned off?  Use the EWS from the web to verify. 

Auto-Off Settings

Note: If you are using the Auto-Off feature, the printer will not be able to print any documents (including documents sent using ePrint) or process any other jobs (such as faxes or scheduled deliveries, if your printer supports these options) after the printer has turned off. These jobs can only be printed after the printer has been turned on again.

Auto-Off

Disabled

After 2 hours

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Please provide the following relevant information so someone can help including:

Printer Model - Done

Detailed Problem Description -

Operating System of computer (including service pack revision) - Done

Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless? -

Make and model of router and modem? -

Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns? 

If wireless, when the problem occurs, what is status of Blue Wireless light on printer, on, off or blinking? –

Power off printer and router. Power on router and wait 3 mins, power on printer. Does it connect to the router now? Do you have a valid IP address?

HP Recommended

Problem detail:  First print of a day results in a message saying that the computer cannot communicate with the printer.

Connection method: Hardwired LAN with reserved IP at modem.

Modem and router:  BT basic fibre modem to Netgear N600 router.

Error messages: as described, on computer.  On printer the screen looks to be asleep but a simple touch of the power button brings up the normal options.  No hint of a problem there.

After re-powering of printer everything functions as expected. Until the next day.

HP Recommended

Since you are hardwired...  Is the printer going into sleep mode???  Reserved IP is not the same as a static IP.

These settings are for setting up your wireless printer to stay connected to your router, keep wireless devices better connected and makes your router secure and hack proof.

1. Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual). This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed. More Wireless Printing help is here (Windows solution 4, static IP).
  2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printers Properties.
  3. If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.
  4. If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 at the Alternate DNS server. 
  5. Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.
HP Recommended

Sleep mode was my first thought, but the settings suggest that it isn't.  Unless you can suggest any particular setting that I may have missed checking?

I chose ethernet LAN printing because I found it much more stable than wireless.  The printer itself was set to dhcp using a reserved address on the router.  Every check told me that it was getting that address, even when printing wasn't happening.  I have now set it to manual IP.  We'll see whether that cures the problem.  I'll report back on that.

IPv6 already disabled.

Firmware already checked.

I still lean towards the sleep mode theory, but can't verify it.

HP Recommended

When in sleep mode the power light should slowly pulsate.

HP Recommended

"When in sleep mode the power light should slowly pulsate."

I have seen that.  Ah! yes, now I remember.  It can't be turned off, as far as I can see.  There is simple

5 minutes

10 minutes

15 minutes.

So, if it's sleeping and reluctant to wake up, is there anything I can do, other than reboot?

HP Recommended

Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printers Properties.

You sure it can't be turned off?  Use the EWS from the web to verify. 

Auto-Off Settings

Note: If you are using the Auto-Off feature, the printer will not be able to print any documents (including documents sent using ePrint) or process any other jobs (such as faxes or scheduled deliveries, if your printer supports these options) after the printer has turned off. These jobs can only be printed after the printer has been turned on again.

Auto-Off

Disabled

After 2 hours
HP Recommended

Your description of Auto-off sounds to be exactly what is happening.  Unfortunately, I can't find anything either on the printer Preferences or the EWS Settings page - or any other page, for that matter - that would enable me to change the setting.  The only relevant setting I can find is the same 5, 10 or 15 minutes.

At one point I did try enabling scheduling, but that didn't help either.  It's disabled now.

HP Recommended

This morning, instead of the usual "can't communicate" message the printer said there was a paper jam.  I checked carefully but no paper was anywhere in the machine (other than the usual tray).  I couldn't get out of that, so I tried to shut down.  It wouldn't.  I had to power off at the wall.  Usual wrist-slapping message, then alignment routine started, and printing has behaved normally since then.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.