HP LaserJet 1020-1022 Kills Print Spooler (79819 Views)
Top Student
Chris76567
Message 11 of 38 (82,704 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 1020-1022 Kills Print Spooler

The best solution I have found is to use these old drivers that do not have zsr.dll http://download.cnet.com/1020ndriver-exe/3000-18493_4-139077.html?tag=mncol

It will still break from time to time, and you will have to go in and strip the drivers out of the registry, but at least in my situation not nearly as often. Your only other option is to buy a printer with an actual print processor in the printer instead of a cheap host based one. 

Honor Student
Flowerbridge
Message 12 of 38 (82,375 Views)

Here is a workaround for you guys.

In Adobe Reader, click on "Print..." then "Advanced Options."  Click the box "Print as Image" and you should have no problems.

There are ways to force the option through the registry as well, just google for it.

I came upon this workaround last year while investigating the issue and this thread while searching for updates.

Unfortunately for us though, Citrix will often lose printer settings and thus the print as image setting will be lost occasionally, causing the spooler to crash again.

Honor Student
Flowerbridge
Message 13 of 38 (82,372 Views)

Here's the huge thread

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1153974&admit=109447626+1255556495854+28353475

Honor Student
mccrakenjen
Message 14 of 38 (75,182 Views)

I have found the solution after spending hours trying to address the issue of my printer not working after trying to print a pdf.  The problem falls with Adobe, not the Hp1020.  I uninstalled adobe and installed Foxit Reader.  There are NO issues now. 

Top Student
alinux
Message 15 of 38 (74,921 Views)

[ Edited ]

GO TO http://www.gameaddict.eu/hp-lj-1020-spooler-subsystem-error-fix/ and get the driver from there to fix all your printing issues with HP LJ 1020 and 1018.

The Computer Manual
Student
JCornelius
Message 16 of 38 (72,052 Views)

the above solution from alinux works great - cheers for that

http://www.gameaddict.eu/hp-lj-1020-spooler-subsystem-error-fix/

:smileyhappy:

Honor Student
kthulasiraman
Message 17 of 38 (66,536 Views)

Resolution/Fix:

If you have not already you will need to remove the bad files from your print spooler.

1. Stop the printer spool service by right clicking on your My Computer icon and selecting "Manage"
  2. Expand "Services and Applications" and the click on services
  3. Browse through the list of services and find "Printer Spooler".
  4. Right click on the "Print Spooler" service and select "Stop" if Stop is grayed out or disabled and "Start" is an available option, then the service is already stopped.
  5. Go to the c:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers folder
  6. You should see some files in this directory with a .SHD file extension or a .SPL extension you will want to delete these. In some cases you may see other files in this directory as well, and in general it is safe to delete them. Files besides the .SHD and .SPL should be backed up before you delete them to be safe.
  7. You may either reboot the computer or Start the "Print Spooler" service manually.

Once your print spool is clear you can now proceed with the following on the trouble computer:

First you will want to turn off any advanced printing features for your printer.

1. Click on Start then control panel, and then Printer and Faxes
  2. Right click on the HP Laserjet 1020 (or other affected) printer and select Properties
  3. Click on the Advanced tab
  4. Uncheck "Enable advanced printing features"
  5. Click the OK button

With that done, you will also need to make sure that you do not create PDF print jobs that the printer may still not work with.

1. Open a PDF file with Adobe reader
  2. Go to File and then Print
  3. Look for the Advanced button towards the bottom left and click on it
  4. You should see an option on this screen that says "Print as Image". Place a check mark there and press Ok.
  5. You can now press the print button and it should work fine. Be sure to always check that "Print as Image" option before printing a PDF document.
Student
boteek
Message 18 of 38 (66,321 Views)

:smileyvery-happy::  Excellent - this worked well - actually all I had to do was as you said:

I had tried many different things - this did!!  Thanks for the information - kthulasiraman

Once your print spool is clear you can now proceed with the following on the trouble computer:

First you will want to turn off any advanced printing features for your printer.

1. Click on Start then control panel, and then Printer and Faxes
  2. Right click on the HP Laserjet 1020 (or other affected) printer and select Properties
  3. Click on the Advanced tab
  4. Uncheck "Enable advanced printing features"
  5. Click the OK button

With that done, you will also need to make sure that you do not create PDF print jobs that the printer may still not work with.

1. Open a PDF file with Adobe reader
  2. Go to File and then Print
  3. Look for the Advanced button towards the bottom left and click on it
  4. You should see an option on this screen that says "Print as Image". Place a check mark there and press Ok.
  5. You can now press the print button and it should work fine. Be sure to always check that "Print as Image" option before printing a PDF document.
Honor Student
Spikyleaf
Message 19 of 38 (63,856 Views)

This really works - so easy!

mccrakenjen wrote:

I have found the solution after spending hours trying to address the issue of my printer not working after trying to print a pdf.  The problem falls with Adobe, not the Hp1020.  I uninstalled adobe and installed Foxit Reader.  There are NO issues now. 

I left adobe installed cause I use it for editing but changed the default viewer to Foxit - problem solved.

Student
Renopup
Message 20 of 38 (63,576 Views)

So far this has been the ONLY actual resolution/fix that anyone has come up with that has fixed my spooling problem.  We'll see if it stays fixed, but thank you so much for giving me access to this helpful hint.  Even I could follow these instructions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation