Question

Honor Student
wbratty1
Message 1 of 3 (451 Views)

HP Photosmart C8180 bad electrolytic capacitors

The C8180 turns itself off and on, lights flash, shows error messages and no reset works.... shortly after extended warranties run out. There seem to be quite a number of HP printers with the same issue - bad electrolytic capacitors on the internal power supply board. I have yet to see where HP has offered any type of repair to out of warranty customers. I did see posts that addressed the repair for someone who can do it themselves or they were fortunate to find a shop to do the repair. Please post where one can go to get the repair done. I live in Florida and have yet to find a repair shop. Two that I called had C8180's sitting at their shop with the same problem.

Honor Student
bd_hend
Message 2 of 3 (442 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C8180 bad electrolytic capacitors

I have this same problem. I live in Oakland County, Michigan. Does anyone know where I can get this printer fixed or should I just replace it?

Honor Student
wbratty1
Message 3 of 3 (428 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C8180 bad electrolytic capacitors

There is a gentleman online who talks about the repair - Ray Carlsen. I emailed him and he is willing to do repairs as he has successfully done this repair before. I did an online search and came across his page with his email address. There are also some details here on the boards on how to do the repair. I spoke with Brandon Business Machines in Brandon Florida and they are willing to do the repair!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation