Question

Student
daled
Message 1 of 4 (5,447 Views)

HP officejet 4355 all in one. Cartridge error, refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.

HP officejet 4355 all in one. Cartridge error, refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.  This appears to be a common message that is occurring to a number of users.  Can you please help.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 4 (5,433 Views)

HP officejet 4355 all in one. Cartridge error, refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.

[ Edited ]

I would start by cleaning the cartridges' contacts to make sure that build up is not the cause of the error message. Build up can get on the contacts and cause error messages on cartridge rejection to occur. Here are the steps to clean the contacts on the cartridges.

1. Gather the following items to clean the cartridge contacts:

2. Dry foam rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that will not come apart or leave fibers.
    NOTE:Coffee filters are lint-free and work well for cleaning cartridges.
  3. Clean distilled, filtered, or bottled water. Tap water might contain contaminants that could damage the cartridge.
    CAUTION:Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the cartridge contacts. These can damage the cartridge or the unit.
  4. Sheets of paper or paper towel to rest the cartridges on during cleaning.
  5. Turn on the product and open the cartridge door. The carriage moves to the far right side of the unit.
  6. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent, and then disconnect the power cord from the back of the unit.
  7. Lightly press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you out of the slot.
    NOTE:Do not remove both cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each cartridge one at a time. Do not leave a cartridge outside the unit for more than 30 minutes because the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.
  8. Inspect the cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.
  9. Dip a clean foam rubber swab or lint-free cloth into the distilled water. Squeeze it to remove any excess water. The swab should be only slightly damp.
  10. Hold the cartridge by its sides and clean the copper-color contacts.
    Figure 3: Clean the cartridge contacts
    Clean the cartridge contacts
    1 - Copper-colored contacts
    2 - Ink nozzles (do not clean)
  11. Allow the cartridges to dry for approximately ten minutes.
  12. Slide the cartridge back into the correct slot. Push the cartridge forward until it clicks into place.

13. If inserting the tri-color cartridge, insert the cartridge in the slot on the left.
  14. If inserting the black cartridge, insert the cartridge in the slot on the right.
    Figure 4: Insert cartridge
    Insert the cartridge
  16. Repeat steps 4 through 10 for the other cartridge, if necessary.
  17. Close the cartridge door.
  18. Reconnect the power cord into the back of the unit.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Student
narrahari
Message 3 of 4 (3,816 Views)

I have an Officejet 4355--have received the flashing ! li...

I have an Officejet 4355--have received the flashing ! light (orange) and the message "Cartridge error-refer to device documentation". Am using brand new HP cartridges 21 and 22. Have taken them out, inspected, cleaned etc.

Cannot print test/alignment page.

Uninstalled printer software and reinstalled. No luck. Flashing ! just came back after unplugging and uninstall/reinstall.

How do I solve this error message?

Thanks 

Hari Prasad

Student
IGB528
Message 4 of 4 (224 Views)

Re: HP officejet 4355 all in one. Cartridge error, refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.

I have purchased and inserted new cartridges but still get the cartridge error message. Print test sheet prints out ok.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation