Question

Top Student
fighttowin
Message 1 of 69 (90,661 Views)

HP says I can't use refilled ink

So I ordered one of those refill kits because they are much cheaper than replacing the entire cartridge.  I've used them before with multiple different printers and they work perfectly fine.  After inserting the refilled cartridge into my printer I get the error message "incompatible cartridge".  After trying various troubleshooting steps I call in to tech. support.  I tell them exactly what I've done and the guy says "Oh well that's the problem, you can't use refilled cartridges".  I asked why not and he tells me that their is a chip in the printer that senses if the cartridge has been refilled and it won't work.  I immediately recognized what this was about.  They want to force you to buy new cartridges from them everytime you run out of ink.  His reasoning for it not allowing this would have almost been funny if it wasn't angering me to no end.  He tells me non approved ink will damage my printer!!  Hopefully I don't need to go into why this is absolutely ridiculous and a blatant lie.  If you are going to try to rip your customers off HP at least come up with a lie that doesn't insult my intelligence.  I bought the printer, it belongs to me.  Shouldn't I be able to use whatever kind of ink I want to?

Honor Student
Histoman4
Message 2 of 69 (90,633 Views)

Re: HP says I can't use refilled ink

[ Edited ]

To say you can't use refilled cartridges is bull. I have had my empty HP  ink cartridges refilled by Cartridge world,  and have not had any problems with them . I have a C4280 that tells me I have an open door when it's closed, that is what I am looking for here.

Student
psych89
Message 3 of 69 (90,514 Views)

Well, you really shouldn't be complaining about the "expensive hp ink". I just gave away my old Lexmark, and they are worse. HP ink (new, from the main site) is about $15-20 (about $5-15 on ebay), whereas Lexmark costs about $30 from the main site ($15-30+) on ebay. So when complaining about HP, remember, you could have a Lexmark... Thank God i no longer have a lexmark!!

Honor Student
davidv911
Message 4 of 69 (90,419 Views)

I am DONE playing around with HP printers. It seems like every time I get a software driver update from HP there's more crap in there trying to prevent refilled cartridges from being used. I don't mind paying market prices for new ink cartridges but the prices HP charges are SO FAR beyond market prices that I will NOT tolerate being ripped off any more.

The next printer I buy is going to charge REASONABLE prices for their ink and it's NOT going to be HP. One of these printer companies is going to wise up and take over the market by selling refills at a fair price. No more HP printers for me. I've HAD IT!

Honor Student
fisxgrl
Message 5 of 69 (90,368 Views)

Yup. This happened to me, but it doesn't say I can't use the refilled cartridge. It just wont work. I can make a copy, but

not print. What's up with that. Highway Robbery. Doesn't Kodak have a printer with cheaper ink. I'm looking into

that. :smileyhappy:

Top Student
seapoint
Message 6 of 69 (90,337 Views)

I am having same problem with my 5250. HP 74/75 set is $31. Had cartridges refilled at Walmart for $20. Brought them home, installed them and they do not work. Get flashing orange light and error message "Printer Cartridge" See owners manual. Also have an HP 712C. Cartridge set is $75 . Yep $75. Can buy new printer at Costco for a few bucks more.

Tutor
2L84me
Message 7 of 69 (90,154 Views)

I know this will sound like sour grapes but I feel plenty sour after owning an HP Photosmart All In One C309g-m for 4 months and having spent well over $200 on ink cartridges so far.

It's pretty obvious if one reads even a few of the posts in this forum that HP is ripping off its customers big time on the issue of ink usage.  The fact that you cannot use refilled cartridges is part of the issue all right, but there's much more, like how few color copies can be printed.  The #564 cartridge boxes clearly state one can print 300 pages with them. HA!  I get between 20 and 40 pages, maybe, before needing to replace one color or the other.  I'm not so stupid that I don't know the number of copies one can print depends on the type of printing, but I'm not talking about photos, just full-color print projects like four 3.5 x 5.5 postcards per 8.5 x 11 page.  And the disparity between 300 and 30 is a little hard to explain away with that excuse.

As far as ink for a Lexmark All In One, they may seem to be more expensive but they last 3 or 4 times as long.  

I'll never buy another HP printer.

Top Student
RUKiddinMe
Message 8 of 69 (90,087 Views)

For years I've been using after market or re-manufactured inkjet cartridges in my HP Deskjet F4180 without any problems. Suddenly, HP requiring that I use HP ink only (at their inflated prices).  I own my printer and I should be able to run any kind of ink in it that I want. I could understand this if I was leasing or renting my HP product but I'm NOT! I'd like to get back to where I was, purchasing economical ink. Otherwise, I'm going to have to s**t can it, unless someone out there can get around this ripp-off  problem.

Honor Student
aftermarketink
Message 9 of 69 (90,057 Views)

Do a search for the Magnuson-Moss act the next time an HP rep tells you that you can't use refill kits/aftermarket ink and etc.

Top Student
1HPVictim
Message 10 of 69 (89,112 Views)

Re: HP says I can't use refilled ink cartriges

I agree that the intervention of a consumer protection agency is required with regard to this issue - HP is behaving as a criminal.  At minimum, the prohibition of using refilled cartridges should be posted on the outside of all product containers (in really large letters).

Count me among the many who will never buy another HP product again.  Sadly, HP was at one time one of the most consumer friendly companies in the valley.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation