Question

Intern
DERoss
Message 1 of 3 (2,743 Views)

How do I print to file?

Color LaserJet CP1215

Windows XP SP2

If I print from a Print dialog window, I see a checkbox for "Print to file". If I select the checkbox, whatever application from which I am trying to print hangs. I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the Windows Task Manager to terminate the application.

My wife's PC (Windows 98) can print to a file, creating .prn files. I have an application (PrintFile by Peter Lerup at [http://www.lerup.com/printfile/] that will print a .prn file. This is important because, although my wife's PC is networked to mine, there is no CP1215 driver for Windows 98. Thus, I print the .prn files she sends me over our LAN.

However, I would like to use "Print to file" on my own PC for occasional test purposes. This doesn't have to be .prn files; it can be with other file-types.

Intern
DERoss
Message 2 of 3 (2,705 Views)

Re: How do I print to file?

Besides posting this question here, I also researched the issue at [news://msnews.microsoft.com:119/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general], including posting a similar question there. The conclusion is that the problem lies within the HP Color LaserJet CP1215 driver, that the driver does not support "Print to file".

I solved the problem myself -- without any outside advice -- by installing an older print driver from the built-in inventory of drivers within Windows XP.

I'm a bit disappointed that, nearly a week after posting the original question, I got no responses at all. It's too late now. Forget it!

Top Student
pragsys
Message 3 of 3 (1,567 Views)

Re: How do I print to file?

Last year I printed a document to a PRN file on my Officejet 6500 wall-in-one printer.

Now I want paper output.  I have tryed using the "copy" command in DOS. How do I do this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation